1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HBO May Mandate Bitrate

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by UPEngineer, Jun 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UPEngineer

UPEngineer Legend

Aug 8, 2004
    Sorry if this has already been posted but I didn't see anything on it.

According to the article, all 26 HBO channels will be broadcast in MPEG-4 and encoded at 8 Mbps and may mandate that provider not compress the signal any further.

Here is the link:

http://telecompetitor.com/node/184

2. CoachGibbs

CoachGibbs Godfather

May 23, 2007
    Good, I wish all HD channels would mandate bitrate. Hopefully they mandate resolution as well.

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Mods: Please move this thread to the HD Programming forum.

Thanks

Edit: Never mind.

4. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Could this be why D* will only carry 12 of the 24 announced HBO HD channels?

5. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    they will carry the HD version of the channels they have now. There have been requests to add the other 15 HBO channels for awhile. There will be than enough bandwidth the additional 15 once both D10 &11 are up

6. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Once they are able to dump the MPEG2 HD channels, they'll have enough room to add the rest of the SD HBOs that they don't carry now. Once/if they do that, I'm sure the HD versions will follow.

7. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    +1

8. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    To expand on what I said. The mandated bitrate may be why D* will only carry 12 HBO HD channels in the near term because of available bandwidth on D10 national transponders. At a lesser bandwidth, D* might have been able to put all 24 on D10. Total speculation, but could be the reason.

9. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    The real reason has already been posted. They're not going to carry the HD version if they don't carry the SD version.

10. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    That's not a reason.

11. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    Sure it is, its just not an acceptable reason! :)

Actually, I think it is unlikely that DirecTV will carry all 26 channels. After all, the HD bandwidth is not unlimited. There is only enough room for 150 channels. It seems to me to be unlikely that DirecTV will dedicate 20% of that capacity to just one provider's suite of channels.

12. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Titan has hit the head of the nail with a hammer.

I hope D* doesn't go hog wild thinking they have unlimited bandwidth. They don't.

13. GeorgeLV

GeorgeLV Godfather

Jan 1, 2006
    HBO Comedy has been one of the most requested channels for a while and DirecTV's two channel Cinemax package is a joke. We know DirecTV is adding more channels from the Starz multiplex, so hopefully HBO/Cinemax will get the same treatment.

14. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    Just curious, in general what does an 8Mbps rate using MPEG-4 equate to if it were an MPEG-2 stream of equal quality? i.e. How many Mbps would that be for MPEG-2?

I ask in the context of OTA broadcasts (ATSC) using MPEG-2 which I believe allows a rate of up to about 19 Mbps over the assigned 6MHz bandwith. In general these OTA signals are a better picture than what I have seen via D* and E*.

OTA quailty varies from station to station, but here in the Atlanta area, I would have to say channels 2 (WSB, 720P) and 46 (WGCL, 1080i) appear the best, as they are not co-broadcasting in 480i like channels 5 (WAGA) and 11 (WXIA), and you can see the difference.

15. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    I'd say it's somewhere around 14-16Mbps.

16. brittonx

brittonx Godfather

Dec 25, 2006
    All I know is I salute HBO for the mandate. I am really tired of seeing blocky "hi-def" programming because the data stream is overly compressed.

Lets all hope that other content providers mandate similar quality levels!!!

17. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Nothing is definite yet. We'll see if this mandate can survive the inevitable crying from the providers.

18. ajwillys

ajwillys Godfather

Jun 14, 2006
    While I love to see higher quality HD channels, I have to play devils advocate here. Wouldn't this result in less HD channels for all the sat and cable companies that don't have the bandwidth for such a mandate. Those companies have to decide either to not carry HBO because they do not have the bandwidth for their mandate or to drop some other HD channel to free up enough bandwidth for that pristine HBO HD. Would you rather have lots of channels in mediocre HD or a few channels in pristine HD?

Now imagine that your favorite HD channel is the one that gets cut because we know it ain't gonna be HBO that gets cut.

19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Your proposal totally controversial and works in favor to the providers - increase profit. Would be nice if you will be on our side - customers.

Think if your ideas will be applied to milk or whiskey manufacturing. :(

20. ITrot

ITrot Godfather

Aug 14, 2006

Does that 150 national HD channels include the D11 sat or is that strictly for local HD?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.