1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD 10 250 Drop outs

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Spot, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 8, 2004 #1 of 12
    Spot

Spot New Member

Sep 8, 2004
    I have had my unit for a week. In regular satellite reception my unit occassionally has dropped video and flashes to black. In HD mode OTA or from DirecTV, the problem is more serious. In the hi contrast, fast cut scenes from CSI the unit flashes rapidly. Any ideas about how to resolve this situation. I friend of mine is having the same problem with his unit.
    Help.

2. mr_zorg

mr_zorg Guest

I have the same problem you describe with my Sony KP-65XBR10W. It is exactly as you describe. I thought it might be the receiver and switcher I'm running through, so I removed those from the equation and connected direct. Same thing. I thought it may be a bad receiver and had DirecTV send me a new one. Same thing. All I can figure now is that there's some incompatibility between this box and my now 4 year old TV. Bummer. Now I have to work on convincing the wife I need to drop another several grand on a new killer TV to replace my old killer TV. :)

Did you ever figure anything out? Does anyone have a clue? DirecTV sure didn't.

3. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Which outputs are you guys using? I know people were having issues with the DVI outputs going out.

4. mr_zorg

mr_zorg Guest

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that, didn't I... I'm using component output, and I assumed the original poster was too since the symptoms were the same. As I mentioned, my XBOX doesn't do this (480p or 1080i) and neither does my 480p DVD player. But the HD 10-250 does it in both 480p and 1080i (my set doesn't; do 720p), though it's worse in 1080i. On a whim, I tried setting the unit to 480i instead of 480p, and guess what? It works fine. I've also noticed that the picture is darker when set to 480p/1080i than it is when in 480i or from my other sources. Very odd.

5. Dec 7, 2004 #5 of 12
    mr_zorg

mr_zorg Guest

Just in case anyone stumbles across this thread, it did turn out to be an incompatability with my 4yr old tv after all. Solved that by getting a shiny new one. :) Now, however, I have a different problem -- my HDMI doesn't work either (though component works just fine). According to DirecTV, they've "found" the problem and it will be worrected with a software patch in the near future. Not sure how that could be since people report that some units work and some don't...

6. Dec 8, 2004 #6 of 12
    stevesmall

stevesmall AllStar

Jul 28, 2004
    i have seen this complaint on quite a few forums, same description , black flash and then right back on. i also have seen it here in southern new jersey. i have voom and directv , i see it much more on ota but it is definitely on my locals thru directv also

7. Roy Batty

Roy Batty Registered User

Jan 10, 2005
    It's as if I wrote this myself. 4 yr old Sony KP53, drop outs, replaced receiver. The good news is that the wife has already approved a new one, but come on! Incompatibility? And if buying a new TV is my only option, how do I avoid the same problem? Plug it in and see if it works? Has anyone been able to get any official response from either DirecTV or Sony?

Also, what TVs should I be looking at?

Thanks. Great forum.

8. Roy Batty

Roy Batty Registered User

Jan 10, 2005
    Hmm. I don't see an icon showing tears of joy, so I'll just use this one :D

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU moonman!

Odd that the Sony tech that was sent out didn't mention this fix. Although I still love my TV, maybe I can get Fry's to give me a deal on a new one instead of having to mess with the circuit board.

9. dorf

dorf New Member

Jan 12, 2005
    I have the same problem, and I'm thinking that this may be the answer... I'm seeing this in 1080i on my 53FDX01b from hy HR10-250 and not when watching progressive scan dvds. Has anyone else seen this on that set, and if so has anyone had this repair done? The TV is out of warranty and I don't want to spend the $300-400 for this if it isn't the problem.

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brandspecific/hitachi/progproblemfix.html

HITACHI ACKNOWLEDGES THE PROGRESSIVE SCAN DVD PROBLEM (!!!) AN HAS A CHIP TO CURE IT!!!!!
    As all of us, 43/53FDX01B owners, already know that when playing a DVD in a Progressive Scan mode (mine is a JVC XV-S65GD), in many instances, especially when the film has bright flashes, the TV is "blacking out" for a few seconds (or more.....) and the only way to watch a movie without interferences, is to disable the Progressive Scan from the DVD player.
    Well, very unlike Hitachi, they have acknowledged that problem, and you guys may want to call your local Hitachi authorized repair people and have them install it for FREE (if still Under warranty).
    Here's the info on the chip (It is recommended to pull the Hitachi bulletin # out and it should have all the info you will need):
    Hitachi Bulletin: PTV0017
    Hitachi Part #: 0893031
    Description: Ceramic Chip Cap 1000pf 50 volt (I saw the chip and it's really tiny, about 1-2mm at most).
    I had this annoying problem on my 43fdx01b, and immediately called Circuit City's service (I purchased their "Performence Warranty").
    When the technician called to schedule the visit I gave him (in addition to the problem description) the details as above. He called me 2 days later, thanked me for the info(!) and said that part has arrived.
    It took him about 15 minutes to install. I took advantage of his visit, and he performed the "hard" convergence adjustment on the set.
    I already watched 3 movies, and NOTHING! No "blacking out" AT ALL!!!
    I like the set, great picture, especially with that fantastic DVD player. I hope it will help you all out there.

10. TX_Buck

TX_Buck New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    53FDX01B with an RCA DTC210 reciever. Did you get anywhere since your last post?

11. dorf

dorf New Member

Jan 12, 2005
    I got estimates for as low as $300, but I haven't had it done and I'm not sure if I will. Hitachi wouldn't provide any assistance and they were a bit angry that I had gotten hold of one of their service alerts which are supposed to be confidential.

Since it's a 4x3 set I think I'm just going to live with the occasional blackouts until I get a new TV rather than pay to fix what seems to be a product defect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.