1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HD Add-on

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by gcotterl, Apr 19, 2014.

1. gcotterl

gcotterl New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Do I need the "HD Add-on" package in order to watch HD programs?
    (I have a VIP 622 DVR and an HDTV).

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    What package do you subscribe to? and how long have you been a Dish customer?

3. gcotterl

gcotterl New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    America's Top 200.
    Since July 2006.

4. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    Do you get HD channels now? Look at your Dish account to see what you have.

5. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Yes, you can add the HD add on and get the HD versions of your sd channels. It will run you and additional $10 per month. However, if you get qualified for HD Free for Life, the $10 fee is waived. I'm kind of surprised you hadn't added it already, I hardly watch sd channels at all since I added it.

6. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    They don't have HD free for life any more. What they offer now for people who do auto bill pay and paperless billing is HD free for two years.

7. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    I heard it changed, but didn't have details. Thanks.

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    HD is historically a requirement of leasing a ViP receiver. I'd be surprised if you don't already have it.

9. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011
    [SIZE=medium]gcotterl,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]I am more than happy to help you with your programming package questions. Would you PM me with the phone and 4 digit PIN number on the account? [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]Thanks [/SIZE]

10. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Surprise, if you are on the eastern arc you get HD gear but maybe not HD viewing.

11. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Feb 1, 2011
    [SIZE=medium]lparsons21,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]They will still get some HD content without the HD package, like the locals that are played in HD and Premium Movie Channels.[/SIZE]

12. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I knew that the locals would be HD, didn't know about the Premiums. Thanks for the info.

13. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    If you now get the HD premiums without the HD add on, that is a change from what it was. I know 100% for sure previously you only got the SD version, and if it was a channel like Encore that was only in HD you did not get it.

14. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Feb 1, 2011
    [SIZE=medium]All customers with an HDTV and HD receiver will receive their locals and the Premium Movie channels in HD.[/SIZE]

15. robert koerner

robert koerner Icon

Aug 20, 2005
    That is interesting and welcome news. When I enquired about buying a DVR with HD capabilities and just use it for SD I was told I would have to pay extra for HD to use the unit.

Recently I've been trying to figure out what it would cost for HD programing if I buy an HD TV, a seemingly impossible task by using information on Dish's site for my present "120" channels.

16. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Feb 1, 2011
    [SIZE=medium]You’re more than welcome! [/SIZE]