1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Audio Sync related to SD Local Broadcast?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Tiebmbr, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    Here's what I'm starting to think, and I want to see if anyone feels the same. I've been getting very bad sync issues with my HD programming on NBC here in Philly (WCAU), with audio lagging behind by several milliseconds, and it annoys the crap out of me, as I watch a lot of it. CBS, ABC and FOX...not a problem.

Here's where the difference lies between these networks...our NBC local is the only one of the 4 that does NOT have an HD newscast, and therefore no local HD programming feed. As a result, during commercial breaks in NBC prime, the local spots will pop up in SD (and look like SD), then the programming will begin again (ie "The Office") and sometimes there will be a visible jump from a small letterboxed image (like on the SD feed) to the fullscreen 16:9 HD image. Likewise, if there's breaking weather or school cancellations, and they pop up a banner across the bottom of the screen or do a squeezeback during a primetime show, the entire signal becomes 4:3 SD for that portion of time until they switch back.

Again, HD is ALWAYS out of sync on this station. Anyone experience this same scenario on any of their local stations? That'd explain a great deal to me.

2. magicboy2

magicboy2 New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Same here! Heroes was unwatchable last night, yet HBO was fine. Curious as to if anyone else in Philly has this problem.

3. DConroy

DConroy Mentor

Dec 15, 2005
    Wow, well, wish I'd seen this prior to my post. :) Had similar issues and was blaming my setup.

4. Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    ...and we're all watching WCAU. This is GOOD to know. Thanks guys!

Now, what to do about it.....do we have to wait for NBC10 to go full HD before we see this fixed?

5. sbcale

sbcale AllStar

Aug 19, 2006
    I would say call the station and complain. Explain your situation and maybe they can help. Maybe you can talk to a station engineer.

6. Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    I can only assume, seeing as they are the only station in town without an HD newscast, that they are in the process of adopting the standard as we speak...once they get the infrastruture in place and go live, I'll see if there's an improvement.

Doing a lot of work for TV in Philly, I can understand that NBC10 is probably scrambling to begin competing on a level HD playing field.

7. mes1008

mes1008 Cool Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Good to know that I wasn't the only one experiencing this the other night. Is it always that bad? I had taped Heroes on my R15 and wound up watching it on the SD TV because I couldn't take it anymore.

8. magicboy2

magicboy2 New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Well, do Comcast subscribers have the same problem with this network? What about this channel on OTA HD? If other providers/OTA aren't off sync, then we know its direcTV's problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.