1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD basics offered by the other guys

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by n3vino, Feb 20, 2012.

1. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    HD channels I would like to see on Direct TV. The only basic commercial free movie channels that D* offers are in SD. TCM and Fox Movies. The other guys, who shall remain nameless (wink wink), offers them in HD. They also offer H2 in HD.

Personally, I don't watch movies with commercials. AMC is worthless to me, so I hope that those are part of the new basic HD channels that D* plans to add.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Keep in mind a lot of people that wanted AMC in HD wasn't because of the movies.

3. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
    Close thread, please.

4. luckydob

luckydob Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    If you want those channels so badly, might I suggest you vote with your wallet and go to the other guys?! No one provider will please everyone, so if one has what you absolutely want, then go for it. I, for one, want the knife show in HD!

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
  6. APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    Quarterly HD Anticipation threads have covered the topic for quite some time: what may come; what should come; what should already be there; eventually we may catch up.

DirecTV and other providers will probably end up with a full HD lineup, where every national cable channel with a HD feed gets carried by cable-television providers. But my guess is that it won't happen until we're in the second half of the 2010s.

7. AquiringSat

AquiringSat AllStar

Jan 7, 2012
    I've had DirecTV for just about 2 months now, and I've gotta tell you, This is Small Potatoes compared to the problems that Cox Cable in Phoenix has! They only have 2 HD HBOs and 2 HD Showtimes. And a receiver with 5 tuners and 800 hours of DVR Space was completely out of the question. And that other satellite company (that will remain nameless:box::box:) is pretty much Complete Crap! They don't even offer MLB Extra Innings, I mean COME ON! They have all the RSNs already, how hard can that be?!? Oh, that's right They Don't have all the RSNs. Trust me, DirecTV is the BEST Choice! They're Not perfect, but Man, They ARE BETTER than the competition!

8. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    The other guy's don't have ANY NY RSN's

9. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Fox Movie Channel is no longer commercial-free. :(

10. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    I don't want them so badly. I just said it was something I would like to see. But thanks for the advise anyway. In the meantime let me add that so far I'm pretty happy with D*. I really like the Whole Home DVR service.

So the Fox movie channel is no longer commercial free. That's a shame.

11. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Which movie channels are commercial free, and which have commercials (Other than the obvious, HBO, Showtime, etc.)?

12. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
    Encore, Sundance, FOX Movie Channel. TCM.

13. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Well, since Ancient Aliens and about all the good shows on History HD have moved to H2, I am really considering adding Comcast Digital HD starter to my internet package.

It carries HD channels H2, TCM, TruTV, E!, Style, G4, LMN, Hallmark Movie, Outdoor, and Universal that I dont get with Choice Extra Classic (I know some of those are in HD Extra), for $29.99 a month for the first year, and $59.95 for the second year. I already own a Tivo Premier, so wouldnt need to rent their DVR.

Ive just been waiting to see what these basics SatRacer said D* is adding are going to be, before I do it. Of that list, H2 is the prime channel I would watch, and probably the Cardinal games on their local sports channel. The rest I can live without. Lots of money to spend for a couple channels.

14. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Fox Movie Channel is now only commercial-free half the day -- I believe it's 8AM to 8PM Eastern/5AM to 5PM Pacific.