1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD cables, can I use same coaxal??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by peace2us, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peace2us

peace2us New Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Can I use the same cable I already have for DTV when I upgrade a couple receivers to HD? We just built a new cabin & already have DTV, but now I'm going to add two HD receivers to account & I'm not sure if we have to rewire everything??

Thanks

Kris:confused:

2. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    If you are talking about the cables from the dish to the receiver and they are RG6 then yes, they are ok.

3. peace2us

peace2us New Member

Aug 17, 2006
    I'm confused! What do I run out from the HD receivers to my surround sound receiver and the rg cable thoughout the rest of the house?

Now, one receiver will go to our marantz surround sound system & the other would go throughout the house.
    So, I'm thinking that the rg cables coming in from the dish, would go to the two HD receivers, but I'm not sure what should be coming out of the receivers???

Hope this isn't too confusing!

4. Marino13

Marino13 AllStar

Jan 16, 2006
    As long as they are RG6 you will be fine. If you do not know, it is usually written on the cable about every sixteen inches or so. It will probably say "RG6U" or "RG59U". Although some people use RG59 with DTV it is not recommended because of bandwidth constraints and you could have a lot of dropped pictures.

5. Marino13

Marino13 AllStar

Jan 16, 2006
    Yes, the cables from the output of the dish go to the input of the DirecTV receivers. Your output of the DirecTV receivers will depend on what you are connecting them to. If you have a HDTV and it has HDMI, DVI or Component input, then you would use the corresponding output from the receiver for the video output. Your audio output would be the optical (TOSLINK or Coaxial) output on the receiver to the input of your Marantz Surround System.

Your whole house video distribution will likely be the RF output via RG6. This obviously depends on what input your distribution system takes.

Here is a problem to be aware of... If you are planning to hook up the output of a HD Receiver to your distribution system and your distribution system only accepts an RF input over RG6 you are out of luck. No current DirecTV HD Receivers (that I know of) have a RF output. You would want to use a SD Receiver if this is the case.

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    DTV = Digital TeleVision D* = DirecTV.

Be aware that the HD DVRs expect two RG6 cables from the dish/switch. The H20 HD receiver requires only one cable.

If you can be more specific, we can be less confusing.

7. peace2us

peace2us New Member

Aug 17, 2006

Well, I think we are out of luck. The rest of our house is run on RF. So, if we leave our old non-HD receiver connected, will it still work? Thanks tons!

8. peace2us

peace2us New Member

Aug 17, 2006

Sorry about that. We are looking at 2 H20 HD Receivers.

9. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Aside from needing a new dish, you should be fine to replace existing receivers with the H20.

10. peace2us

peace2us New Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Well, we have the new 5LNB dish. The problem is how to hook up the new H20 receivers in our house. One is to go to a Marantz Receiver to support our HD DLP TV and surround sound. The other is to go out to the rest of our house through coax cable. That is where we are having trouble.

11. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    The H20 does not have a RF output. You could either keep one of your old receivers or get a RF modulator (such as a Terk MOD-34) and feed it with the composite output from a H20. In either case this would be 480i, not HD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.