1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Capture options from my DVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by wcwman18, Oct 26, 2008.

1. wcwman18

wcwman18 Legend

Nov 9, 2007
    I am looking for my best option for capturing HD Video from my DVR. I have attached my PC specs to help. I am trying to connect to my DVR and PC. Nothing major if it's possible. Thanks for any help in advance.

2. Crypter

Crypter Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    There is no way to capture video from your DVR to your PC. You can however, watch recordings on your PC using DirecTV2PC..

3. wcwman18

wcwman18 Legend

Nov 9, 2007
    I think my PC is to slow to run the program.

4. wcwman18

wcwman18 Legend

Nov 9, 2007
    I would think I can capture with S-video to my PC

5. jimbop99

jimbop99 New Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Best way is to buy a DVD recorder.

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Your options are precious few. What you need to look for is a component capture card. One example is the Hauppauge HD-PVR that has received decidedly mixed reviews. Street prices are just over $200.

Be aware that at some point in the future, DIRECTV will respect copy protection flags that will, at the program provider's request, disable the component outputs on DIRECTV receivers for that program.

HDMI capture cards are available, but they are even more expensive and will also support any copy protection that the programmer demands.

S-VHS video and DVD are 480i, so that isn't going to help you with archiving HD programming in HD quality.

7. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    You can. However, it will be 480i. There is no way to copy the HD in HD to any other device at this time.

8. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    There is no way to digitally copy HD to HD, but there are analog (component video) solutions.

9. wcwman18

wcwman18 Legend

Nov 9, 2007
    Should I get a card to put in my PC or an external option?

10. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It doesn't seem to matter if the device is internal or external. Some of these devices require a lot of DC power and some "pizza box" computers may not have enough oomph to power them.

11. wcwman18

wcwman18 Legend

Nov 9, 2007
    Looking at my PC spec file what might you recommend? Already have a ATI All In Wonder 9000 Pro but want something better.

12. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You'll need to dig around and find out what the requirements for the various solutions are. If you're going to go the SD capture route, I'd recommend sticking with what you have. You should experiment to see whether the various connection methods provide a better picture. None of these solutions will result in anything better than stereo audio if that's important.

I wouldn't recommend investing in the HD recording route as that door will undoubtedly close for at least some of the content (and you won't know which) in the future.

Make sure you pay attention to the operating system requirements as some of these devices may demand additional third party software to run on an XP home machine.

13. wcwman18

wcwman18 Legend

Nov 9, 2007
    I just know I have seen programs posted online that was captured in HD and was wondering how it was done.

14. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    You are seeing the 16:9 frame captured. You are most likely not seeing a full blown hd file. Would be too big. Most likely it is an SD capture of an HD source.

15. wcwman18

wcwman18 Legend

Nov 9, 2007
    Any hardware that will allow me to go from HDMI on my DVR to a HDMI port of my capturing hardware?

16. russdog

russdog Godfather

Jul 31, 2006
    This is just not true.
    You can take HD-output via component, sent it and its audio to a PC, and capture it.
    There are various solutions, including internal cards and external boxes. I've not worked with any, but if you nose around you can find solutions.

Once you have it, you can save it disk, you can edit it, and you can burn it to recordable BluRay disks or to standard recordable DVD's.
    However, either BluRay or HD-DVD is required for playback of the HD recorded to standard DVD's.

17. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I believe Harsh has already pointed this out and the cost downside along with problems that may arise.
    I've used a HDTV tuner connected via USB, which can get OTA HD and has S-Video/audio inputs.
    Editing [and rendering] requires some "real horsepower" from the computer and can take as long or longer than the recording is to do.
    Frankly, it simply takes way too much [cost/time] to be worth it IMO.
    Connecting a DVD recorder to the DVR is cheaper and simpler.

18. wcwman18

wcwman18 Legend

Nov 9, 2007
    Can anyone recommand a good external box?

19. wcwman18

wcwman18 Legend

Nov 9, 2007
    I have a DVD Recorder connected from my box and when I view that picture it is not a HD picture like my comp on my TV is showing.

20. russdog

russdog Godfather

Jul 31, 2006