1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD channel remapping and VOD

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by smackman, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smackman

smackman Godfather

Sep 18, 2006
    Could someone give me a description of what channel remapping and VOD mean? I notice this is in the 4.01 updates. Thanks for the help.
    Smackman

2. lakebum431

lakebum431 Icon

Jun 30, 2005
    Channel remapping is the HD channels being placed "beside" their SD counterparts. VOD = Video on Demand (the movies and more and TV entertainment stuff).

3. Hall

Hall Icon

Mar 4, 2004
    Nothing changed regarding VOD (at least not publically) other than any existing VOD entries get deleted with the L4.01 update.

To expand on lakebum's re-mapping comment, as you should know, Dish's HD channels are up in the 94xx channel range. Believe it or not, some people apparently can't find them. They watch ESPN in standard definition thinking it's in HD because a) they have an HDTV, b) they have and HD box, and c) ESPN says "Broadcast in HD where available". Same thing applies to the movie channel HDs, TNT, and so on.

4. smackman

smackman Godfather

Sep 18, 2006
    I most definitley know that HD is in the 94xx chanel range. Cool Beans.:) Thank You.

5. Hall

Hall Icon

Mar 4, 2004
    Sometimes I wonder if this "feature" is nothing more than dumbing down... :(

6. Amon37

Amon37 AllStar

Mar 5, 2007
    Is the mapdown automatically on? I know where the HD channels are and prefer them away from the SD channels

7. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    I forgot to check to see if it automatically came on, and can't check at the moment, regardless you can always still use the old channel numbers you are used to, and even if it is on, you can quickly turn if off in the local channels setup.

8. Amon37

Amon37 AllStar

Mar 5, 2007
    Well I'll play around with it when I actually get the update and see which I like.

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    ViP-211 users have had this for a few weeks ... first impression may be shock, but IMHO it turns to awe when one becomes accustomed to the change.

Just like the HD markings all over the place and the little copyright line. The first reaction may be "huhhh?" but it becomes part of the background when you have used the receiver with those features for a while.

And, as noted, it can be turned off. :)

10. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    I just posted a message in the L4.01 experience thread about the map down. I had HD priority before L4.01 was installed. It changed me to the new option of "HD and SD" so I was seeing both types of local channels in the Guide listed together in the lower channel numbers. Changed it back to "HD Priority" and now only the HD Locals show up, along with the OTA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.