1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HD content on a SD tv?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by IndyMichael, Jul 10, 2007.

1. IndyMichael

IndyMichael Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2003
    Indiana
    How do shows in HD look on a SD tv? Is it even possible to do so? I don't see us getting a HD tv for years, but wouldn't mind having channels HD only channels like HDnet.

2. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    The HD tuners(H20/HR20) both have S-video out and can be hooked to a SD TV very easily. The piture quality from an HD broadcast on a conventional TV is outstanding. You can format the outputs of either tuner to match your television.

3. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Several years ago, wanting a 16:9 TV to watch DVDs on, I decided I wanted to get an HD receiver so I could watch TV programming in 16:9 as well... so I bought a DirecTV Hughes HTL-HD receiver to hook up to this 16:9 TV and the quality was GREAT!! I upgraded to a HDTV a few years later after that...

I also recently got a TiVo Series 3 HDTV recorder to hook up to a Hitachi 50-inch (4x3) SDTV as well. I haven't hooked it up yet... but I once had my HR10-250 (DirecTV HD-TiVo) hooked up to it (watching HDNet... interestingly enough) and it looked great.

Blu-ray and HD DVD also makes a considerable difference (depending on the title) on an SDTV as well...

~Alan

4. allargon

allargon Legend

May 2, 2007
    My 622 sends a SD signal of downconverted HD channels to my 27" Panasonic CRT. It doesn't look bad at all. There's even a format button on the remote control so I can switch to letterbox (remember that on widescreen DVD's) to see the whole pic if I want.

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    It will depend upon the quality of your SD TV of course... but the S-video and/or composite video outputs from most HD receivers will be about the highest quality (on the HD channels) your SD TV has ever seen input.

I have watched some nice S-video output from my HD receiver on my 32" TV... and it looks really sharp.

6. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    I currently have my HR10-250 (well, actually, my TiVo Series 3) hooked up to a box (I forget what they're called) via composite, and then from that box via RG6 to a Panasonic VCR hooked up to a 20-inch flat-screen Panasonic TV, and the HD is EVEN very impressive on that... so while S-Video and composite will certainly give the best picture, the setup I have above transmitting via RG6 looks great as well...

~Alan