1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HD Credit

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by mashandhogan, Jan 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    Has anyone else had their HD credit "extended." Mine was suppposed to expire a few months ago but it keeps showing up on my bill, and the end dates keep extending.

2. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise DBSTalk Club

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I signed up for it a few days after it was first offered and the earliest bill I received showing the credit was May, 2010. I suspect that you may still have a few months of credit left.

3. Feb 1, 2012 #3 of 57
    marvod

marvod AllStar

Dec 24, 2006
    I just activated my HR34 last week and asked about all my credits. Specifically about the Free HD credit. She told me it was still there and would continue for two years. Interesting...

Well 3 days later i got a card in the mail tell me that i now have free HD for two years. Same card i got almost two years ago.

My guess is it will continue and if it drops all you will need to do is call.

My two cents.

Mark

4. Feb 1, 2012 #4 of 57
    mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    thanks. my guess this is the beginning of the end for the HD charge

5. Feb 1, 2012 #5 of 57
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Some of us thought that two years ago.

6. mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    DTV said my original credit hasn't expired yet.

7. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Don't bet on it. I just saw the new DirecTV ad in my last Sunday's newspaper and guess what? New customers do NOT get "free HD" anymore!! In fact, the package they are pushing for $29.95 is that loser "Entertainment" package!!

Meanwhile, I see DISH network has TRADEMARKED "free HD for life"!!!

8. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I am betting with you. Cant give free hd for life if they arent charging for it in the first place, and as of Feb 9th, with the all inclusive $20 charge for advanced equipment rolling HD into the mix with everything else, I think new customers are out of luck. Wondering if grandfathered customers will still be eligible for it, after their current promo expires?

9. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think the only reason existing subs are still getting free HD is because their computer systems are so screwed up. CSR's tell people one thing. Post cards arrive in the mail stating something else. Some people are being told no more free HD because they got a different credit for something.

My guess is that sooner or later DirecTV is going to set an "end date" for ALL so-called "free HD" and that will be it. Then they will occasionally add HD to customers who were told they were getting "free HD for life" hoping they don't call in and complain just like they keep doing to people who signed up for "free DVR service for life" years ago.

10. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX

That "loser" package has 39/40 most popular channels in HD...not bad.

11. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Whoppee. It doesn't even have "The Weather Channel" which is in every other competitor's lowest package. No USA no TBS no TNT no way!!! It's a loser.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Unless I'm reading the page wrong or the listing is broken, the Entertainment package has TNT, TBS, USA and TWC.

13. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    It does??? On February 9th I visited DirecTV.COM and looked at the package comparison to see if Entertainment could save me some money but quickly ruled it out due to the few channels I watch regularly not being included. It's possible that their comparison chart was wrong on February 9th so I'll look again for sure!!

14. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I think he was going by the preliminary channel list posted on "the other site", not the one on DirecTv's website now. TWC was missing from the preliminary list. I see its on the D* website.

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Well, last I looked, according to the comparison, I only get something like 4 channels, so who knows. I've gone years without having access to the Audience/101 Network according to them :)

16. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I knew there were reasons I never go there. I'd forgotten about it until I saw that post on here.

17. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    The web site was screwed up. ENTERTAINMENT isn't really that bad a package now that I looked at what it contained by downloading the channel list for it.

But unfortunately, some of the channels I enjoy the most (Science, Military, DIY, etc.) aren't in it. So I guess I'll stick with Choice Extra Classic for the time being.

18. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I called and asked for the HD credit since my bill is auto paid through Century Link. They told me that credit is not offered any longer, but they would give me a $10 programming credit for 1 year. I am supposed to call and check on it again in 1 year. Strange....

19. Glen_D

Glen_D Legend

Oct 21, 2006
    DirecTV's website advertises "Free HD with every package!" for new customers.

20. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    So you are saying they told you they no longer offer free HD for auto billpay customers? But did it anyway, on a year by year basis?

That is interesting to know. When I restarted my contract at Christmas by leasing an HR34, I did not take into consideration they might start trying to charge me that extra $10 per month again. Since I cant drop it without returning the HR34, and since I seriously doubt they would release me from the contract if I did, even though it was the cause of the contract, and they wont let me use it without HD access, I was kind of in a quandary what I was going to do if they wouldnt extend the free HD. A year should be sufficient. I was hoping I wouldnt have to drop to Entertainment to stay under my $100/mo self imposed limit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.