1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HD DirecTiVo: anything new since September?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by dirtyblueshirt, Dec 16, 2008.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt Under Suspicion

Dec 6, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    I have (had) a TiVo Series 3. I loved it. Nothing compares to TiVo. (want some kool-aid?)

The main reason I stayed away from DirecTV previously was for two reasons: previously, my apartment in Washington had a north-facing balcony. Second, DVRs had not matured enough to compare to TiVo.

Then, September 3rd, Engadget posts this:
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/03/hell-freezes-over-new-directv-hd-tivo-on-the-way/

And there was much rejoicing. So, now that I've made the switch to DirecTV, has there been any news yet beyond the "second half of 2009" announcement? I can't wait for this receiver to come out, and then what will my options be? How does DirecTV's upgrade policy work?

2. say-what

say-what DIRECTV A-Team

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Nothing new. I'd suspect that the "second half of 2009" date is somewhat optimistic.

As for DirecTV upgrade options, if you want a new unit, you pay for it. How much/little you pay might be determined on your account status, but I doubt they'll be giving these away.

3. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Nothing new. In fact DirecTV has never said one word at several conference calls about this other then the press release. One has to wonder...

4. dhhaines

dhhaines Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I'm thinking that the economy may put this out to the future a little longer than the TIVO crowd would like.

I have no preference either way, but the last DirecTIVO I had was a piece of junk.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Please keep Tivo-related conversation to the press release thread in the HD DVR forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.