1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HD Discussion: A&E (Channel 265)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Doug Brott, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
  2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    A&EHD - Channel 265 Confirmed

3. bobkatF

bobkatF AllStar

Sep 26, 2004
    Mesa, AZ
    Thank you Doug & Earl for all your hard work (and patience sifting through these threads).

A&E is S-T-R-E-T-C-H-E-D. PLEASE, let the powers know how much we hate that!

Thanks again very much,
    -Bob

4. GC71388

GC71388 AllStar

Mar 12, 2007
    why cant 24 be in HD :(

5. BigJ52

BigJ52 Godfather

Jul 29, 2007
    Yep, thus far to me A&E is the only disappointment. They are showing 24 right now and picture should be a lot better than it is.

6. powerplay

powerplay Cool Member

Jun 3, 2003
    I would agree that at present the picture is not up to par. I find it interesting they are sending the signal in 720P and not in 5.1.

7. NiteOwl

NiteOwl Mentor

Aug 28, 2007
    Looks like all the 24 reruns and Crossing Jordan's are non-HD, but CSI Miami, Sopranos and others are HD. Did they not acquire the HD rights to those programs? I know they were shot in HD...

8. mhking

mhking Legend

Oct 27, 2002
    Atlanta
    24 looks awful, and is that bug big enough?

9. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I'm shocked that 24 isn't 16:9. What are they thinking? /steve

10. CoachGibbs

CoachGibbs Godfather

May 23, 2007

Get used to a lot of head scratchers with this station.

11. byrdpack

byrdpack AllStar

Jan 17, 2007
    Let the network know you are unhappy about their quality of these shows. Now that D* has added these HD channels, many more subscribers can and should demand high quality HD from these channels.

12. markrubi

markrubi Icon

Oct 12, 2006
    24 is in HD on Fox. What ups with A&E's version?

13. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    You may not believe this, but when the channel was first launched the bug was even larger (I've been getting this channel via another provider).

14. kram

kram Godfather

Sep 3, 2006
    Some of the new HD channels:
    • Are stretched
    • Are pillar-boxed
    • Are not in Dolby 5.1

Is this normal? Is D* planning to fix?

15. jrmichael

jrmichael Legend

Dec 14, 2006
    A&E on the 9300's was really good. I hope that episode of 24 isn't what they really consider HD. That was pretty awful.

16. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    D* can't "fix" broadcasts all they can do is send out what is on that channel. If they're not broadcasting in HD then you won't get HD

17. wonko

wonko Cool Member

Sep 21, 2007
    Yes, both A&E and History stretch any 4:3 content they show. It's really bad when they show 16:9 stuff that was letterboxed to fit 4:3 and stretch it back to 16:9. There's not a TV in existence that looks good on.

So, feel free to join myself and other E* subs who have already complained to A&E networks about this issue.

18. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    +1. The only station that seems to get this right (Zoom, instead of stretch) is PBS-HD, which I receive OTA. They zoom letter boxed SD in proportion, so it looks like HD-LITE 16:9. The only way it should be done, IMO. Why is this so difficult for the other station engineers to figure out, I wonder? /steve

19. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    24 looked REALLY bad. It's a shame since it's always looked good on FOX in HD.

20. gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Stretching SD to pretend to have HD content is the video equivalent of the comb-over: Ugly and fooling no one.

ESPN did this at launch, too, but eventually got the message that viewers hated it. Now they do the proper border-art thing with SD.

Why do broadcast execs always think this is going to fool anyone? A&E's method is particularly poor, since they stretch ANY SD content, even commercials within HD programs, so you can't escape it even with a TV narrow mode.

I really with that DirecTV had some standards written into contracts. Like what amounts to HD and what isn't. I wonder if people start deleting this station from their favorites list whether D* notices.

U-G-L-Y

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.