1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HD Discussion: Animal Planet (Channel 282)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Doug Brott, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
  2. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    APLHD - Confirmed 282

3. speedy4022

speedy4022 Legend

Jan 26, 2004
    Anyone have an idea about what shows are offered in HD on this channel? I already know Meerkat Manor is.

4. GC71388

GC71388 AllStar

Mar 12, 2007
    WOW sunrise earth in MPEG 4!!!!!!!!!

5. petergaryr

petergaryr Passed away April 24, 2010

Nov 22, 2006
    Watched a little, but it was mostly upconverted. Looking forward to Meerkat Manor in HD.

6. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Could not find 1 HD show in the guide for this channel.

Sunrise Earth looked terrible.

7. mhking

mhking Legend

Oct 27, 2002
    Atlanta
    Sunrise Earth looks a little muddy; definitely not as good as on HD Theater....

8. PR Buick

PR Buick AllStar

Oct 12, 2006
    Yeah, Sunrise Earth looks upconverted. Why would they run it that way?

9. GC71388

GC71388 AllStar

Mar 12, 2007
    Yeah sorry about that, it looked really good in one shot I saw.

10. SinBin

SinBin Legend

Apr 13, 2007
    I can't stand the Animal Planet HD logo on the screen. At least they could try putting their annoying logo a bit further down and to the right. IMO, logos in general take away from the viewing experience

11. Spartn1

Spartn1 Cool Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Animal Planet is one of two channels that I couldn't get...I get the 721 channel not purchased code, but I was sure that it is part of my package...checking again...

12. David HDDX

David HDDX AllStar

Jan 18, 2007
    Tell me about it. I wrote them awhile ago wrt their static branding being ever present and a threat to my equipment vis-a vis burn-in and they basically said we don't get any complaints.

Time to pepper them with complaints, IMO.

My Local PBS has an enormous static opaque brand and I am in the process of complaining the second time to them. I warned them this was going to be an issue.

A nice brand should be translucent, small and shifting by four corners. Heck, it shouldn't be there at all. We know what were watching!

13. jcloudm

jcloudm Mentor

Oct 13, 2006
    I wonder if Meerkat Manor is actually going to be in HD. I know that the SD is letterboxed, but when I looked at the guide on my HR20 this morning, the showing for this friday's episodes of MM didn't have the HD logo next to it. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

14. speedy4022

speedy4022 Legend

Jan 26, 2004
    Every episode I have watched has also available in HD on the screen at the beginning.

15. BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    Is anyone getting just a little bit of black bars on the sides for Blue Planet? It's not completely filling up my screen. Not pillar boxed, just maybe an inch or so on each side.

16. lmurphy

lmurphy Legend

Jul 25, 2004
    Yes, my Sony was that way also with the very small black bars on the side.

17. rposly

rposly Mentor

Aug 10, 2007
    Two things:

- Yes, I have about an inch of black on either side of the screen, too. Strange.

- And yes, my HR20 is not showing that Meerkat Manor is going to be in HD. Quite a let-down.

18. Meglos

Meglos Mentor

Mar 17, 2006
    I turned on Sunrise Earth this morning this on Animal Planet HD only to become extremely annoyed at the frequent commercial interruptions. It totally destroys the serenity of the program. Not what I want to wake up to.

It'll be back to DSHD for Sunrise Earth for me. :)

19. ShiningBengal

ShiningBengal Godfather

Jan 24, 2003
    You are getting a SD program that has been upconverted and zoomed. This results in a cropping of the image at the top and the bottom and a narrow pillar at each side. Also, pretty crappy PQ is the result. I will say it's a better alternative to Stretch-O-Vision. Better yet would be to leave the damned picture alone and present it in its normal full 4x3 format.

20. It's Poo!

It's Poo! Cool Member

Sep 21, 2007
    Animal Cops Houston looked really good in HD last night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.