1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HD Discussion: HGTV (Channel 229-1)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Doug Brott, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
  2. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Confirmed this morning

3. nhlfan79

nhlfan79 Legend

Aug 31, 2006
    Nice. My wife works for "Ground Breakers" and is happy to finally be able to see her own show in HD.

4. wallyjar

wallyjar AllStar

Aug 11, 2006
    Guide show very little HD today

5. Bowtaz3

Bowtaz3 Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    Will they ever show their original programs in HD rather than different stuff?

6. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    hey and what about the -1 that means it not a simulcast right?

7. John4924

John4924 Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    You are correct! :D

8. Bowtaz3

Bowtaz3 Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    Correct

9. terryfoster

terryfoster Godfather

Nov 14, 2006
    So, does this mean we'll finally get HGTV's coverage of the Tournament of Roses Parade in HD?

10. CoachGibbs

CoachGibbs Godfather

May 23, 2007
    Everything but infomercials is HD on this channel. Hence why it's not a simulcast.

11. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    As some of these new channels come on, it is not unusual for the HD tag in the Guide to be inaccurate in the beginning. Give it some time and things will become more accurate. In the mean time, you may find a lot in HD, even though not listed as such.

12. mforward

mforward New Member

Aug 27, 2007
    Nice. My wife is a happy camper today now that HGTV-HD is finally on :)

13. 05Sonic

05Sonic Cool Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I currently have HGTV on Cable, and everything is in HD. I can let you know if it is any different as I'm switching to D* on Thursday.(WOO HOO!!!)

One thing I have noticed with HGTV is that it repeats a lot, the same show(Episode) is on two or three times a day if not more.

14. homerdodge

homerdodge New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Phillipsburg...
    Too bad some of the shows like curb appeal, house hunters and house hunters international are apparently not scheduled on the new channel. They must not be produced in HD.

15. l8er

l8er Icon

Jun 18, 2004
    No, it's not a simulcast because the programming schedule is different from the SD HGTV - the simulcast/not simulcast status has nothing to do with infomercials.

16. CoachGibbs

CoachGibbs Godfather

May 23, 2007
    I know that, perhaps poor wording on my part. They went with a non-simulcast so that it was an all-hd channel (except for the infomercials). Just like Food-HD.

17. Steve615

Steve615 Hall Of Fame

Feb 5, 2006
    Middle TN area
    With this being another "unique" channel (not a simulcast of its SD counterpart),will this channel and Food HD be added to the new HD Extra Pack?

18. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Legend

Apr 28, 2005
    Sure happy they finally got HGTV HD the rose parade has been broadcasted on there channel in HD for years, I watched it when I had voom it looks AWESOME is all I can say. We watch alot of stuff on HDTV like all the shows about buying and selling your home.

19. Blitz68

Blitz68 Hall Of Fame

Apr 19, 2006
    Welcome to the HD king.

20. EdK99

EdK99 Mentor

Feb 26, 2007
    I'm wondering the same thing. Also MHD is not a simulcast too. This HD extra pack is such BS to begin with. We now have Food-HD, HGTV-HD, MHD and Discovery HD Theater that are not simulcasts but are not included in the HD Extra pack. Maybe a new "HD Extra, Extra Package" is coming. :lol:

So maybe D* needs to redefine the definition of the HD Extra package to be "just a few channels that we want to charge you more for" from channels that do not have a simulcast SD channels. I smell something foul.