1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HD Discussion: The Discovery Channel (Channel 278)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Doug Brott, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
  2. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    DSCHD - Confirmed 278

3. BigEHokie

BigEHokie Mentor

Sep 22, 2005
    I'm assuming this channel is not simulcast? I had a schedule set for Survivorman on the SD channel and there are no listings for Survivor man on the HD version...

4. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Make sure that you're looking at the Discovery channel on channel 278, not the Discovery HD Theater which is in the 70's... those are two different channels and do not broadcast the same thing.

Channel 278 should be a simulcast in both SD and HD... you need to select the HD channel for your SL's.

5. BigEHokie

BigEHokie Mentor

Sep 22, 2005
    That's why I was confused as my SL was on SD and I was attempting to move it over to HD. However, the only listing I got for Survivorman when I performed a search was for channel 284, the SCIHD channel. I'll check again when I get home this evening. Thanks for the info.

6. mhking

mhking Legend

Oct 27, 2002
    Atlanta
    Billy Blanks in HD. Gee.

7. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    Does anyone else have the DiscHD picture not take up the whole screen? I noticed this during the test channel?

Is it specific to shows or what? Seems that whenever I turn to it, it has a small border around the entire picture...

Yet, no one else has mentioned it...

8. Juppers

Juppers Icon

Oct 26, 2006
    I've mentioned it and I hope they correct that very soon. They are cropping old 4:3 content, and not cropping enough to fill the entire screen.

9. wonko

wonko Cool Member

Sep 21, 2007
    That's how Discovery/TLC handles 4:3 content. It's basically a partial zoom that cuts off some of the top and more of the bottom. Somewhere in between full pillarbox and A&E/History's stupid stretch-o-vision.

10. c152driver

c152driver Legend

Jan 21, 2007
    Nothing on Discovery Channel HD is showing up in keyword search results on my HR20.

11. Southpaw

Southpaw AllStar

May 3, 2007
    I have never watched it before but I am really getting a kick out of this show "Dirty Jobs". Just watched them gut a catfish. The host - Mike Rowe? - is hilarious.

12. bcrab

bcrab Legend

Mar 6, 2007
    I have the same almost. I have 1 1/2" bars on the sides. So far its the only channel thats that way.

13. Juppers

Juppers Icon

Oct 26, 2006
    Those bars suck. Especially for people that have displays that can be be affected by screen burn. They need to go the ESPN way and put up graphical pillarbars for 4:3 content. What do all these channels have against OAR?

14. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    :+1:

He's a trip. And to think, he spent many of his years in TV as an announcer only, not actually on screen.

It's funny when he manages to work in a shameless plug for Ford Trucks, who has him in their commercials.

15. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I got search hits for Survivorman on the Science channel, channel 280. Is this the normal channel for it?

16. gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    It should or will be one of your favorite shows... I was watching Myth Busters and it is definately HD not SD stretched. What I did notice was when they had an SD comercial, it was stretched from 4:3 to 16:9. But the content of the show is awesome HD 16:9. So I am happy. I do have to switch all of my series recorded shows to the new HD channel though.

17. rlnoonan

rlnoonan Legend

Jan 5, 2007
    Yes. I record Survivorman too, and it is on the Science channel, not Discovery (at least the new ones). Since the Science channel is one of the Discovery network channels they may show re-runs there, but I'm not sure about that.

18. ahafele

ahafele New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I think it depends on the episode. It seems that the newer episodes were recorded in HD, whereas older ones were recorded in SD and are now upconverted on DC HD.

What I find unfortunate is that they are tagged as HD in the guide. It would be nice if D* introduced a new logo to indicate shows that are not HD but are presented in 16:9 format. They have the letterbox logo, but that's not the same thing.

19. Johnboat

Johnboat AllStar

Nov 25, 2006
    I'm wondering if anyone else is having a problem with Discovery HD no filling the screen. I've attached a pic to show you guys.

Thanks

Attached Files:

20. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    It isn't just you.
    It same thing was happening when it was on 9301. Sometimes it would be full screen and other times it's like you've posted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.