1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HD Discusson: Versus / Golf (Channel 604)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Doug Brott, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
  2. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    VSGFHD - Confirmed 604

3. tfederov

tfederov DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    Anyone know if there are plans to eventually split the two or will it be golf in the morning / vs. in the evening (I'm thinking more of NHL).

4. jmacari

jmacari AllStar

Apr 19, 2007
    I wonder if the Viking Classic (Thurs. 6:30PM-9:30PM) will be HD?? ...thats if HD cameras are even used for the event (seeing that the Presidents Cup is the major broadcast)...............

5. mhking

mhking Legend

Oct 27, 2002
    Atlanta
    Non-stretched content looks good; I'll reserve judgment on their HD until I get to see some HD sports later this week/weekend.

6. terryfoster

terryfoster Godfather

Nov 14, 2006
    I also hope this channel gets split soon. I remember there being some kind of problem last year when a wings game didn't get aired because Versus/Golf was showing golf instead of hockey.

7. sportshermit

sportshermit Legend

Aug 22, 2007
    I would imagine we'll see alternate channels if this happens. It won't be a bandwith issue at least not after 11 launches.

8. tawnee

tawnee Mentor

Dec 18, 2006
    My son gets this on Comcast and they share the same channel, I think Dish is the same.

Just in time for the Natalie Gulbis show tonight!!!

9. GenoV

GenoV Legend

Sep 12, 2007
    Anyone know if the college football on Saturdays on Versus is shown in HD on this channel?

10. Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    This is exactly how I got in on Comcast and it was that way since the beginning. The split channel is how NBC/Universal ( I think that's who owns Versus and the Golf Channel) decided to produce it. I don't know if they plan to change it anytime soon...

11. CoachGibbs

CoachGibbs Godfather

May 23, 2007
    It's hit and miss so far this season.

12. terryfoster

terryfoster Godfather

Nov 14, 2006
    You would think so, but DirecTV wasn't carrying the golf show in the 90s channels. If I remember correctly this game wasn't available in HD anywhere because of the golf coverage. So, this is a limitation on Comcast's (Vs. owner) side, not a bandwidth issue on DirecTV's side.

13. Hunter707

Hunter707 Cool Member

Jan 11, 2007
    I was hoping to get this channel in time to watch some of the Rugby World Cup in HD. They did such a poor job of covering the World Cup that it didn't matter whether it was SD or HD.

14. mesquito

mesquito Cool Member

Aug 22, 2007
    I subscribe to CHOICE and do not receive the GOLF channel. I do have access to VS at this time.

I just viewed the channel but what will happen when GOLF takes over the channel? Will Choice viewers have access to both Golf and VS or just VS or will D*
    charge a HD fee for VS. BTW I do get GOLF on local cable basic package.

15. Dusty

Dusty Icon

Sep 21, 2006
    Golf is better than Hockey anyway. I know that. I am a Canadian.

16. Hunter707

Hunter707 Cool Member

Jan 11, 2007
    After a statement like that, I'm sure your citizenship can be revoked. :D

17. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    I think he got hit in the head with a puck. It's hard to compare a sport to taking a leisurely walk and hitting a ball at each stop. :lol:

18. Dusty

Dusty Icon

Sep 21, 2006
    I know. And they actually have my passport now. I just sent them in for renewal.

I saw a poll when I still lived in Canada that Golf was the number 1 sports Canadian engaged in. I was hard for me to believe that. For all I know, hockey night goes very well with pokers and beers. That was before I discovered they have cute cart girls on golf courses.

19. Dusty

Dusty Icon

Sep 21, 2006
    I agree. One you have to think and the other one you don't. Beating yourself is always more difficult than beating your opponents. Can't compare that.

20. highheater

highheater Legend

Aug 30, 2006
    I have CHOICE and not CHOICE PLUS but get the Golf Channels as part of my 'grandfathered' Sports Package.

When they first moved the Golf Channel out of Sports to part of the Choice PLUS I lost it. But it later reappeared and I think it is the result of it previously being included in my Sports package.

What you get and what you pay for with repect to TGC and Versus may be a function of when you signed up for the various services.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.