1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hd distant feeds

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by cdp, Aug 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdp

cdp AllStar

Jun 18, 2004
    I have an 811 receiver and the hd pack.I live 45 miles from my locals so I still keep basic cable to get them.I was able to get a west and east coast distant waiver.My question is...why can I not get any hd content on the distant feeds?Thats why I wanted them in the first place since E* does not offer my locals yet..Thanks

2. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    That's because the only distant network being carried in HD is CBS. It's on 61.5 and 148. If you've got your waivers, it should be available to you - IF you've got the setup to see it.

3. Brian

Brian Mentor

Jul 23, 2004
    Also, you may have to call and get them to *activate* the CBS-HD feed for you. I just went through this exercise and amazingly enough, it was relatively painless...not real quick, but painless.

I can only get the West coast feeds b/c I don't have the 61.5 dish, but I guess I could tie one in if I wanted...but then for me more switches would be involved

4. cdp

cdp AllStar

Jun 18, 2004
    all I have is 110 and 119...no 61.5 or 148

5. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Well, then, you're SOL.

There's lots of speculation about where E* will put new network HD feeds. I think the wings (61.5 & 148) are the likely places - with east coast on 61.5 and west on 148. It just seems to make sense to me (which of course means that they'll do something else).

6. cdp

cdp AllStar

Jun 18, 2004
    So I would have to put up another dish or two to get the distant hd channels??Thats crazy..I don't want my house looking like a space lab

7. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Well, that's your choice of course.

If we could wave our magic wands and create infinite bandwidth that can be received by a 4" dish, we'd all be happier, but it ain't gonna happen.

There's thousands of people that would LOVE to be allowed to receive CBS-HD, and would put up whatever dish they needed in order to get it.

As for me, I've only got 3 dishes: 500, 300 and Direcway, and if there was a reason, I'd put up more. :)

8. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Simon...I previously signed off on that email your congressman thing on the I want my HDTV website...I just got a multipage letter (on Saturday) from the FCC to Don Manzzulo, my congressman, and another multipage document on the latest congressional hearing on SHVIA which includes discussion of SHVIA renewal and touches on HD-Distant feeds...I will pdf and ask Chris to post document when I return to the office on Wednesday...as I'm currently traveling...

Jason

9. Codeman00

Codeman00 Godfather

Dec 13, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Well call me crazy then, because I put up a 2nd dish to get CBS-HD. The SuperBowl is in HD, so are some awards shows, primetime programming, golf, and the SEC Saturdray fooball game of the week. I had them put the 2nd dish on the back of the house aiming just over the crest. Its out of sight and no one knows its there.

I guess you either put the other dish up, or don't get a station that you could get for free.

10. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Actually quite a few affliates that have previously declined distant waivers have indeed signed off on "CBS-HD Specific Waivers"...Since the HD specific waiver is outside the normal waiver submittal process E* gives you the affliates to contact...In my case WIFR and WISC...You are responsible for contacting the station and faxing the approved waivers to E* waivers dept.

Jason

11. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Jason: Looking forward to seeing those letters. :)

12. cdp

cdp AllStar

Jun 18, 2004
    so if I wanted a 2nd dish up would I have to contact E* and they would install it?Any charges??

13. Jason Nipp

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    If you qualify for the programming..i.e. have approved waivers on file at E*...depending on your account history and status...You could very well be able to get this equipment at no charge, but that does very from sub to sub.

Jason

14. ajohnson

ajohnson AllStar

Jun 28, 2004
    You might try playing dumb and say your buddy got his for free to get his locals and additional programming. I got mine that way, even though my locals are on 110 or 119 (I forget which).

I'm curious, have you tried a uhf antenna for the HD locals? See http://www.antennaweb.org to check and see what locals you can get in HD, and what size antenna you need. In many cases, a small set top antenna will work, and if you don't like it there you can stick it in the attic, or put a bigger one in the attic.

15. cdp

cdp AllStar

Jun 18, 2004
    I would need a pretty big antenna since my locals are 50 miles away.I called dishnet and after being on hold for about an hour :mad: they said it would be $99.95 installed :mad: ..What do you guys think?Should I pay for something I should be getting anways?

16. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    CDP: So tell me again why E* should do all this for you? They'll GIVE you a dish to receive what they provide, why should they GIVE you something to receive stations that have nothing to do this them? I actually find it somewhat amazing that they even bother with OTA tuners in their boxes.

17. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I'm with Simon - you want them to GIVE you an OTA antenna setup ? Wake up - TANSTAAFL !

18. cdp

cdp AllStar

Jun 18, 2004
    Not an OTA antenna.....an extra dish for cbs hd at 61.5

19. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Well, you can buy the gear yourself, but you probably won't save much money. It depends on what switches you'd need, and we can't determine that without you giving us every single detail of your setup.

20. cdp

cdp AllStar

Jun 18, 2004
    My setup is dish500 dispro quad lnb 811 and 522 receivers..Could you please let me know what I would need to get the 61.5 or 148 for cbs hd..I have found the DISH500 With DISHPro Twin LNBF for $69.99.Would I need and switches?Thanks for all the help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.