1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hd distortion

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by walker17, Oct 19, 2009.

1. walker17

walker17 New Member

Sep 25, 2009
    I recently added hd to dish. It seems to me that the picture is streched vertically: people l00 tootall and slender, especially on espn. The players in football really seem distorted, too tall compared to sd feed. Anyone else noticed this? Any suggestions as to how to correct this?

Thanks, John

2. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    That's probably due to you having SD streatched to fill a 16:9 set. It's actually the SD feeds that are stretched and distorted making people and things look wider then they actually are; NOT HD feeds being to "tall" or narrow". It just something your use to at this point.

Don't get me wrong as I understand why people have it set to stretch SD feeds. I mean having a widescreen set seems pointless if your not going to take advantage and fill the entire screen is a common mindset.

As far as being distorted I can't comment on that point as I don't have that issue with DirecTV.

3. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    :welcome_s

We could use a little more information regarding equipment - what Dish box, what TV, etc.

But a quick guess: Press Menu, System Setup, HDTV Setup. Set your aspect ratio for your TV.

By the way check things out on a local, not on one of the cable channels that stretches anything the broadcast out to 16:9 even if it was meant for 4:3.

4. olds403

olds403 Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    you might try using the format button on the bottom left of the remote. If it is not in normal mode it will look stretched depending on the channel and format you are using.

5. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    Of course, "center cutting" on broadcast channels can also cause distortions for those with HD capability. That is, not only is the picture cut from and HD image; it is also enlarged so you can see pixels. If I can see the pixels with my bad eyes; I wonder what it is like for people with 20/20 vision. DISH will not provide PBS HD as an alternative; thus making PBS totally unwatchable.

6. walker17

walker17 New Member

Sep 25, 2009
    I have a vip722 and Panny 5075u tv. I have the 722 set to 16/9 and the aspect set to normal, the tv is set to full. The 722 to tv is via hdmi. The football players on espn, for example, seem tall and skinny compared to an off the air signal on cbs for example. I hope there is a solution. Thanks for your help! Hope to have more suggestions.

John

7. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    It sounds like the Panny is set to automatically adjust the height of the picture and you are getting some postage stamp type screens.

The panny stretches the vertical and leaves the horizonal as it is, so you get tall skinny people.

My son-in-law's plasma does the same thing - drives me crazy, but I don't "fix" it.

Take the Panny off auto and make it leave the OAR alone.

Many "HD" channels AREN'T.

Check that you have the 722 set to prefer HD or you may really be watching an SD channel.

8. samsmith

samsmith Legend

Oct 31, 2009
    There could be many reasons why your picture seems to be distorte, try any of these

1. use a component cable(y/Pb/Pr) or a HDMI cable.
    2. try to match your television resolution type with the receiver(either 1080 or 720) you can also check the same by entering menu- 6(system setup)- 8(HDTV setup)
    3. try bypassing surge protector