1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD-DVR Connection question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by smilepak, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smilepak

smilepak New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Hi,

On Directv, you need a dedicated line from the dish to each cable box. In the case of the DVR where it has two tuners built in, would you need one line or one for each tuners (2 dedicated lines)?

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Yes, for right now (until some new technology is released)

You need TWO lines directly from the Dish or from a Multiswitch (which needs 4 lines from the Dish).

You can not use a regular cable splitter.

3. smilepak

smilepak New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Hmm that mean won't be able to use standard coax wiring already existing in the house.

Could you at least use a reverse splitter to merge the two line into one, and right before going to the cable box, split it back up again.

Forgot what that device is called.

4. mocciat

mocciat Icon

Oct 17, 2006
    no you need 4 lines from dish to multiswitch and then to 2 to each reciever

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    It's called diplexing and [again] no.
    To have both tuners working you need two SAT feeds. With only one coax, you can have one tuner working. Some time later [?] there is to be something called FTM that would act like "what ever that device is called" for you. :)

6. smilepak

smilepak New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Hmm FTM sound interesting...i have to google it to find out more. Any idea when this will be released. It will save me tons of trouble poking holes in my place for the dual line needed from the LBN....

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    This was my [?]. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.