1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD DVR HR24-100 Problems

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by overwilhelmed, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Oct 8, 2010 #1 of 11
    overwilhelmed

overwilhelmed New Member

Oct 8, 2010
    Hi all –

This is my first time posting, so I apologize for any details that I may leave out. I currently have a DirecTV dish (not sure exactly on make) connected to my house through a SWM system with currently 2 HD receivers (one the HR24) and 1 standard receiver.

This past weekend everything with my system was fine. Last night, however, I went to watch some TV on my HD DVR (last time watching on it was this past Sunday) and started running into problems. Everything seemed fine for about 5 minutes, then the picture went blocky until it eventually went out (received 771 message on SAT input 2, only SAT input 1 is used). All of my readings for the signal strength read 0. I disconnected the power and reset which resulted in the receiver getting stuck on the setup screen with a 771A error.

I turned everything off and check other receivers in the house to see if they had issues, which they did not. I watched a little TV on another receiver before going back to the HD DVR to see its status. This time I got some TV, again for a couple of minutes, then it went out again.

Anyone have ideas on what may be the problem? I can provide more details as necessary.

2. Oct 8, 2010 #2 of 11
    Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Did you try to switch the receivers around to see if the problem follows? Before you do that though, it would be wise to just check the connectors on the cable to make sure they are tight.

3. Oct 8, 2010 #3 of 11
    overwilhelmed

overwilhelmed New Member

Oct 8, 2010
    Thank you for your response Scott. I plan on doing that tomorrow morning when I have some time. I am trying to gather as much information as possible so I can make sure I don't spin my wheels trying to fix it.

4. Oct 8, 2010 #4 of 11
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Do you have a SWiM connection? The easy way to check is to press {DASH} (the dash key) and it should say SWiM Connected. Also, if you have only one line coming into the back fo the receiver, it is almost certainly a SWiM connected system.

If so, then double check a couple of things.

(1) how many DVRs/Receivers are in your house (tuner count is important)
    (2) Assuming you are 8 or less tuners (standard SWiM-8), you may want to power off your SWiM and then power it back on. That may solve your problem.

5. Oct 8, 2010 #5 of 11
    overwilhelmed

overwilhelmed New Member

Oct 8, 2010
    I most definitely have SWiM receiver. I have 4 receivers in the house, however one isn't currently connected. It comes off a split in the line that is connected to the HD DVR. I have tried fixing the receiver with the split in and out. Neither works. And before anyone askes, it is a DirecTV split to be used with a SWiM and the "red" terminals on it are aligned properly.

The HD DVR was working before with the split connected.

EDIT::When setting up your DVR in this format, should I set it as having 1 or 2 tuners in the setup menu?

6. Oct 8, 2010 #6 of 11
    DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    This thread indicates that 771A indicates that the a problem with the SWM getting power. I'd check the connection between to the power inserter.

If you want to use both tuners, you have to set it to 2 tuners.

7. Oct 8, 2010 #7 of 11
    overwilhelmed

overwilhelmed New Member

Oct 8, 2010
    Wouldn't the other receivers not work if the SWM wasn't getting power? For example, I unplugged the power inserter last night and my cable went out in my other rooms. I plugged it back in and everything was fine in those rooms but still no cable on the HD DVR.

8. Oct 8, 2010 #8 of 11
    overwilhelmed

overwilhelmed New Member

Oct 8, 2010
    Now I have something interesting to add. I relocated the power outlet that the SWM power supply is plugged into (directly to a wall) and unplugged my DVR. I left the basement and went into another room to watch TV and to my surprise I found my arch nemesis, 771A in my other room. I went back to my basement and plugged my DVR back in and guess what, the other room worked fine.

I am completely confused, anyone have any thoughts?

9. Oct 9, 2010 #9 of 11
    overwilhelmed

overwilhelmed New Member

Oct 8, 2010
    What is going on with the above post I have no idea. However I took another receiver and swapped it in the location of the DVR and I had no further success. I am at a lost and I really don't have any faith in DirecTV. Anyone have any ideas? I feel that the problem is not within my house but rather on my roof. I also tested the system with and without the PI. I am currently watching TV without the PI installed and I am having no problems.

10. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Your system won't work consistently without the PI.

11. overwilhelmed

overwilhelmed New Member

Oct 8, 2010
    Here is the end result of my issue. There was a barrel rack connector outside that had gotten pretty corroded. Once that was replaced with higher quality barrels everything works perfectly. This SWM system is really convenient when it works. Thanks for everyone's suggestions and help.

Hope this helps anyone else.