1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD DVR recordings to PC?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by maverick22, Jan 11, 2011.

1. maverick22

maverick22 Mentor

Jan 5, 2011
    I have noticed a couple of old threads on this..didn't see anything new.

I have a HD DVR in one room, and I have my PC in another room. Is there anyway maybe I could force recordings to an external hard drive, and then take my external hard drive to the PC and put the recordings there?

What type of format are DirecTV's recordings in? an "editable for PC" format?

I switched to D*TV just a few days ago. I was using the coax plugged from the wall to PC to do recordings in Media Center. I guess Time Warner cut that off though (yesterday).

I am looking for another way to record to PC now OR just get D*TV files to PC.

Thanks.

2. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Only way to do this is to use a video capture device and connect that to the outputs of the DVR and record in real time.

3. Milkman

Milkman Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
  4. maverick22

maverick22 Mentor

Jan 5, 2011
  5. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    You are streaming from the DVR to your PC. What's more, the D* software disables (or so they say) screen capture and recording. I've yet to find something that I've wanted a copy of badly enough to try to figure out any way around it. With every movie channel, Netflix and even Redbox in a pinch I'm pretty satisfied.

Given what TiVo and Dish do with allowing you to move recordings to a PC or even a mobile device I would think that D* would have to do something with this eventually. Given the contentious relationship that exists between the content providers and the content aggregators I am hopeful that D* will say f it and open up as fully as their contracts will allow them to.

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    They're in a Linux-based file system and are heavily encrypted, so, no.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The only way to get to an "editable for PC" format would be an analog capture device, as post #2 says.

8. maverick22

maverick22 Mentor

Jan 5, 2011
    Well my PC has a capture card/Tuner. It's just in the other room as the DirecTV receiver.

That's the one thing I like about Time Warner. You don't have to have a receiver for every room. You can just plug a coax into the wall and at least you get basic cable channels. I was doing this with my PC as well with Media Center. I also have a fitness room with a small TV that was just coax to the wall. That only gets like 14 local channels now.

I had no idea Time Warner had control over that. I guess they "pulled the plug."
    My Internet's running through the same coax as my PVR setup was. Now I'm only getting those same 14 channels on my PVR. Sucks!

9. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    You're lucky you still get ANY analog channels. Many areas have had their cable companies switch to 100% digital already, which means analog TVs all need a converter box, and TVs with digital tuners need a converter box to get anything but locals.

10. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    I use the Hauppage HDPVR. It will capture analog HD from my DVRs to my pc. They cost less than $200.

11. maverick22

maverick22 Mentor

Jan 5, 2011
    Do you have a link to one?

Thanks

12. Ganome_Danome

Ganome_Danome Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Dec 10, 2009