1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HD DVR Screensaver How to turn off ??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Whiskey River, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whiskey River

Whiskey River Mentor

Apr 7, 2009
    HR20-700 , Is there a way to disable the screen saver when video is paused ?
    I looked in all menus and there is no such feature to either change the screensaver time or ON/OFF feature. Maybe its a hidden option, trick or undocumented setting.

2. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I am not aware that there is a way to turn the DVR's screen saver off.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Why do you want to turn it off?

I'm not aware of any way to do it, but it should never get in the way of normal operation.

4. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    If the screen saver bothers you, you could turn the TV off...:D

5. jahgreen

jahgreen Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    Just enjoy it. For example, you could have everyone in the room bet how long it will take before the DirecTV logo bouncing around the screen hits EXACTLY in a corner.

6. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    There is no way to shut it off.

Mike

7. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I like this approach. :D

And if you're listening to a SonicTap channel you can see what's playing now as you wait for the rectangle to exactly hit a corner...

8. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I just shut off my TV and leave on the Sound for my Doggies who Sleep really Good to The Weather Channel!!! :lol:

9. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Sounds like we have a new drinking game.

But I am not fond of the screensaver either. It looks like it was designed by a 6th-grade art student with one eye. Very one-dimensional.

Not only that but it is annoying to have that movement going on and perceptible out of the corner of your eye. What about a nice fish tank screen saver? Or a fireplace? It could still be in ROM; it would not take that much memory to do that.

At a bare minimum, let the user set the timeout from 1-30 minutes rather than forcing it to be 5 minutes. That should not take more than a few lines of code, one would think.

Maybe DTV needs an app store, which could be a profit center for them.

10. Wilhite

Wilhite AllStar

May 5, 2004
    I don't mind the screensaver so much, but it's the random flashes of whatever is paused behind it that bother me.

11. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    The APP Store sounds like a Great Idea and could turn a Profit for Directv while allowing us to add APPs that we like such as a Personalized Screensaver APP.

12. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Turn on the fish tank on your Droid, see how that eats up the battery!!!

Rich

13. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Hey, you ought to see how the Slingbox Eats Up My Battery!!! That's why I bought a Backup Battery!!! :)

14. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't think the batteries are up to par for what the smart phones do. I asked a Verizon salesman if the battery technology was the same as my phone that I was replacing and he said it was. I could leave that old phone on for a week and still be able to use it. Don't know if he knew what he was talking about, but he seemed shocked when I told him I usually recharged it every night. Told me that would cause the battery to "swell" and was surprised that I hadn't experienced that problem. Told him I had every intention of plugging in the Droid every night and sure as hell wasn't gonna sit up and wait for it to get done charging. But, by that time, they had me so confused I was just happy to leave. When I got home I found some stuff he had charged me for in the bag. Stuff I didn't want. Went back the next day and got the money back. Deceitful, he was. Angry, I got.

Rich

15. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Lithium Ion Batteries Do Not Have That Problem so he didn't know what he was talking about which is not that unusual.

I know a Guy at my Verizon and he Really Knows His Stuff Technically and he had told me stuff I didn't believe and I have looked it up and found he was Spot On so now I pretty much believe him and that is why I have a Backup Battery that I use Interchangeably with my other Battery.

16. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Godfather

Oct 21, 2006
    Is it normal to set up the dish using the signal strength meters? Dish got blown over in a storm today and when I went out to set it up again, I had the signal meters on. Just as I would get to some point where I needed to see the screen, the saver would go on. I had to track into the trailer with wet muddy shoes to hit pause to turn the screen back on. Then outside again then screen saver again in out in out. Pain in the patootie.

17. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Wow, old thread. Not for installers though. If I were repeaking my dish, I'd do it when my wife was home and she'd be inside reading signals.

18. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Seems Jerry's even more bored than usual tonight.

19. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Godfather

Oct 21, 2006
    We tried the wife reading numbers tonight but our radios were not working. Because it was dark I could walk over to the window and see the tuning screen. Seems to me that something like that should be the same as Live TV and not trigger the screen saver.

20. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    No kidding, posted in wrong thread maybe :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.