1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD DVR stuck at Step 1 of 2 after hell day now fixed

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mung, Jun 10, 2010.

1. mung

mung Cool Member

Jun 8, 2010
    So while I am waiting for my replacement HR20-100 to show up because it didn't work after the fiasco the other day, I actually got it working again.

It was stuck at Step 1 of 2 and just sitting there. So I unplugged it figuring it was just eating electricity. Left it unplugged over night and decided to plug it back in this morning and it decided to start working again.

Wonder if they will let me keep the replacement DVR and send one of my regular boxes back instead?

2. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I don't see why not. When you get it, call and see what happens. The worst they will do is say no...but I doubt the will. :grin:

Mike

3. 2dogz

2dogz Godfather

Jun 14, 2008
    By sending back a regular box in place of DVR, sounds like you're upgrading yourself. They might want a few bucks for that move. :)

4. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    That's why I would call them first. They'll likely let the OP keep the new receiver but who knows under what conditions.

BTW mung, I wouldn't just send back something else without checking with DirecTV first. They might put the non-returned HD DVR fee on your bill...IIRC, that's $480. :eek2:

Then you'll have to call them anyway and try to straighten it all out. :D

Mike

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Don't be surprised when you get a $$$ bill for failure to return the receiver that you said you were going to return.

Looking at some of the recent threads about HR20 replacements, they may not want the HR20-100 back anyway.

6. mung

mung Cool Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nope they won't do it. So when the box gets here I am going to try to catch UPS and refuse the delivery. I won't pay full price for what is probably a referb box and since I am already paying for MRV I might as well just get a regular HD box if I want DVR service in another room.

D* really won't do a damn thing for you if you have a contract. If my contract was up and I had said I was going to cancel service they probably would send me a truckload of DVRs.

7. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    Look at the box first. You might get an HR24. I doubt, it but it's worth a look. :D

Mike

8. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    People's experience varies all over the place. I have been under contract since 1995. I recently upgraded to Whole Home DVR Service, which is regularly $149.00 (for equipment and install, including a new dish). When I asked for the price, they quoted me $99.00. I asked them to look closely at my account for any other considerations I might be eligible for, and they came back with $25.00!

Secondly, just recently, D* started a program for new subscribers, forgiving the $10/month HD access fee for life! (as long as you bill auto-pay). They also made a deal available to existing customers, for free HD Access for 24 months (a savings of $240.00). Many of us expect that the HD Access fee will be dropped entirely for everyone within this 2 year period.

So, here is a case with a long term customer, currently under contract, that received a very large discount on an upgrade, and saved $240 on his bill.

I'd try, but I just can't find a way to complain about this.:)