1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD DVR with SD service

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by joejohnston3, Sep 30, 2011.

1. joejohnston3

joejohnston3 New Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Hello All,

Do you know if I bought an HD DVR which has all the functions I am looking for but I only have SD service will I be able to use the HD DVR? Does DirecTV restrict anything or will I be able to use one. Thank you.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    The official policy is that HD equipment requires the HD Services on your account. Don't know how much wiggle room there is on that policy.

3. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    Would an r-22 do the trick?

4. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    It can tough to find an R22. And I suppose it depends on what the OP means by "has all the functions I am looking for."

5. mini1

mini1 Icon

Jan 25, 2004
    How about you get an HDTV or stop being cheap and pay for the HD service? That will solve your problem. Go on auto bill pay and get HD service free for 24 months.

6. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    To answer the question directly, no, they will not activate a HDDVR unless you have HD service on your account. If you OWN or lease an HDDVR and try to drop HD service, they will turn OFF the HD DVR, even if you own it. Tried to do that this summer to save a little money. No way Jose said DirecTv.

7. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    The only exception is for areas which have MPEG4 locals.

8. Oct 3, 2011 #8 of 21
    crkeehn

crkeehn Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Solid Signal was showing R22 receivers for sale (should be for lease; sorry). Presently they show them in stock for $99.99.

When I wrote to Solid Signal on September 23, they indicated that they were out of stock but expected a new supply in within two weeks.

9. Oct 4, 2011 #9 of 21
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    You have to pay for HD service, but as others have said, you should be able to get that waived with auto pay. Having an HDTV is not a requirement that I have ever heard of. Just HD Service.

10. joejohnston3

joejohnston3 New Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Thank you all for the input. The reason this question was coming up was that my parents got an HD TV and then realized their R-22 was not working the way they wanted and desired to get HD service to improve video quality with a new HD DVR. They gave me their R-22 not realizing it was a leased system and after arguing with DirecTV they insisted we return the unit and cannot be transferred to our account. The R-22 has all the functions I was looking for and now I do not have any option available that I know of other than upgrading everything to HD.

Which brings me to my next question: Can you use a standard TV Sharp 32 flat screen like the one we have that does not have HD ability with an HD DVR and HD service? Obviously we cannot see the HD channels but does it prevent you from viewing anything just because the TV is not HD specific?

11. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I don't see why they won;t let ou use a hd dvr, you can even see the hd channels, which are better quality than the sd versions. Just know the resolution will not be hd. and you will have to pay the hd fee.

12. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I used an HD DVR with HD service for months before I bought my 1st HDTV. Watching the HD channels downconverted on your SD tv actually make the SD channels look bad, at least it did on my 35" Mits tube I used to have...As long as your SD tv has decen a/v inputs, the PQ is much better than you might think.

13. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    Didn't some folks have problems with installers refusing to install HD units without HD TV's present? Is that a non issue now?

14. joejohnston3

joejohnston3 New Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Well, I appreciate all the input and I may just try and buy an R22 from a retailer if possible like suggested. Thank you all again for the input.

15. joejohnston3

joejohnston3 New Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Well, I called Solid State and they do have the R22-100 for $99. Is that a good deal and worth it? Also, what is the difference between the 100 and the 200 series? If the 100 is a good deal then I will probably just get that and use it but I believe I will still need to contact DirecTV to get a new Access Card in order to use it.

16. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    That's the normal up-front lease price for an SD DVR.

Only difference between the -100 and -200 is the manufacturer. -100 is Thomson/RCA and -200 is Samsung.

17. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    If you are buying it from Solid Signal it should come with a usable access card. $99 is the normal price for lease on an SD DVR.

18. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    -100 is now Technicolor last time I checked. That code hasn't been Thomson/RCA for some time now having gone from Thomson/RCA ---> Audiovox ---> to now Technicolor

19. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    That is correct.

20. joejohnston3

joejohnston3 New Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Yes, I confirmed with them that it comes with the access card and it is nice to know the models are the same as far as functions. Thank you all again for all the great input and help!