1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Extra Pack solicitation

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by TMan, Dec 13, 2012.

1. TMan

TMan Legend

Oct 30, 2007
    So I get a call yesterday thanking me for being a loyal DirecTV subscriber (yeah, for 47 days now) and was offered a free three-month trial of the HD Extra Pack, with $4.99 to kick in come March.

I had been thinking about trying that out anyway, as a few days ago when I was looking at my account information online there was a button to try it for three months.

I agreed to let him turn it on, and the nine additional channels were there when I got home last evening.

I looked at "My Programming" today, and it still offers the button to turn it on. In other words, it doesn't seem to reflect that I already have it.

Hopefully it just hasn't shown up yet in there, and all will be well.

It seemed odd to get a solicitation call for such a small item. No pitch to upgrade my package or hardware, optional services, etc.; just the HDEPack offer.

I figure it must not be a scam because I wasn't asked for any "privileged" information like a credit card or account number, which they obviously already know, and the channels are working.

Is this common? Do they routinely call customers to pitch little add-ons like this? Are they still gonna screw it up?:confused:

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I have gotten that call before.
    The channels work.
    If you do not want to continue when the 3 months ends you must call and tell them to cancel it or you will immediately start paying for them.

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    No, it's not a scam. It's their way of drumming up more revenue. Try the HD Extra Pack. You might like it. If not you can always cancle like jimmie57 said.

4. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    If you want to try it, you can safely add the 3-month trial online. I've been "trying" it for 5 years now.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    He can, since he has a current package. Some of us would have to call in every time, and for me that's not worth it :)

6. TMan

TMan Legend

Oct 30, 2007
    Are you saying subscribers with older packages have fewer online account management options? That is, you're not given the option to add (or for that matter, remove) this particular programming item through the web site?

7. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Yup....its their way of getting rid of the obsolete packages...quite truthfully they probably can't and shouldnt have to maintain 40 different packages on-line to accommodate all of them including all discontinued ones..many of us have no problem with that. If you want to modify your package on-line, you need to upgrade to a current package available via the web. Some don't like that choice that D* has made.

8. ebox4greg

ebox4greg AllStar

Dec 2, 2012
    you can't cancel any FREE promotional package until 30 days after it got added to your account. So, call day 32 and cancel if you don't want them...or wait til day 87 and cancel.
    The thought behind this is extra revenue thinking you'll forget to cancel, and then be hit with the monthly charge.

9. TMan

TMan Legend

Oct 30, 2007
    Well, I just got home and these channels are not working. Why am I not surprised?

Two or three of them are still "white" in the guide, but the other six or seven are gray, like a channel you don't subscribe to would normally be displayed.

10. TMan

TMan Legend

Oct 30, 2007
    And now they're white in the guide and working properly.:rolleyes:

11. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    It can take up to 48 hours to have the service added in the case you went through. The vendor that sells the service doesn't add the service immediately, that is done in a back office environment. In other words, the sales person doesn't have access to your account to make the change. That's different then when you call into D* and talk to an agent that has direct access to your account.

So no, not a scam. usually the service is added within 24 hours, sometimes takes up to 48. You should be fine.

12. TMan

TMan Legend

Oct 30, 2007
    It was just strange to work, then not work, and then work again, all within 28 hours or so.

I'll have to see if the web sites thinks I have it tomorrow.

13. lipcrkr

lipcrkr Legend

Apr 27, 2012
    I have 2 offers.....get HBO and free Cinemax for 3 months. Or get Starz for $5 off for 3 months. I decided to keep my HD pack after i had it for free 3 months, it's only $4.99. But i might cancel the HD pack and get the HBO/Cinemax promo, then after 3 months call DirecTV and switch to Cinemax for $12.99.

14. TMan

TMan Legend

Oct 30, 2007
    Now it shows up properly online in my list of subscribed programming.