1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD/H20 Equipment Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by UCLABru1ns, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 6, 2007 #1 of 21
    UCLABru1ns

UCLABru1ns AllStar

Sep 6, 2007
    Hello,

I am a long-time reader, first time poster. In anticipation for all the new HD coverage that DirecTV will be adding to their programming, I've been reading all the forums as to what people are doing to ensure that they have the appropriate dish/receivers to be ready for all the new MPEG-4 HD channels and what not.

It wasn't until today that I realized that I probably wasn't DirecTV-equipment-ready for the new HD channels. Ever since I received the e-mail a few weeks back from DirecTV stating that I should check to ensure that had the BBC connected to the back of my H20 receiver, I figured that was all I needed.

However, I noticed that I wasn't able to access channel 499 at all, and the various calls to DirecTV Customer Service they all basically said the same thing that the channel would 'mysteriously' appear on my guide once the HD channels went live.

But this afternoon, in reading the various forums on here, I realized that I should double-check EVERYTHING equipment-wise to ensure that I also have the appropriate equipment once the new HD channels go live. I figured since I got my new DirecTV dish installed in March 2006 when I signed up for HD programming, that I would most likely have the correct equipment. However, in looking at the system information on my DirecTV menu, I noticed that I under Dish Type it lists an 'Oval 3 LNBS' dish. I made sure the software was updated, which it is, version 0x2024.

So my question to you experts out there is, With all that in mind: Am I set for the new HD channels, or do I have to call Customer Service to order equipment that I otherwise don't have but that I will need to receive the new HD channels?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. Sep 6, 2007 #2 of 21
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Two ways you can check to see which dish you have.

1) Go look at it. March 06, should be the AT9 aka sidecar. Should be two LNB assemblies with two little jumpers between them. About 3 feet across.

2) Re-run the sat setup. Select 5lnb from the list. If you pass on either or both of the 99/103, life is good and your all set. If not, you've got the older 3lnb dish. You need to call D* for an upgrade.

3. Sep 6, 2007 #3 of 21
    UCLABru1ns

UCLABru1ns AllStar

Sep 6, 2007
    Thanks for the advice. I went and checked it out and it is that 'sidecar' dish you alluded to. So if that's a 5 LNB dish, why does it say it's a 3 LNB in the Menu Information?

4. Sep 6, 2007 #4 of 21
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Most likely whoever set it up was in a hurry and mis-selected in the menu.

Just re-run the setup and choose the 5 lnb. Also be sure to pick which multiswitch you have as well. If you do not have a Zinwell WB68 (6x8) or the WB616 (6x16) and use four or less tuners select the 4x4. If you do have either Zinwell select the 6x8. If you have more than four tuners in use and have something other than those two Zinwells, you have an incompatable multiswitch and it needs to be replaced.

You should then see channels in the 90-99, the BBC test channel on 499, and your mpeg4 HD locals on their respective channel numbers (I'm asuming they are available to you by your location in your sig).

Also my 1,000th post. :)

5. Sep 6, 2007 #5 of 21
    UCLABru1ns

UCLABru1ns AllStar

Sep 6, 2007
    Now that you mention it, the installation guy was rushed when doing the set-up (2 hours late, and only half hour to do my job before he had to be at the next client). Is there a guide on here that shows you how to run that set-up?

Thanks

6. Sep 6, 2007 #6 of 21
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    It's all self explanatory.

7. Sep 6, 2007 #7 of 21
    UCLABru1ns

UCLABru1ns AllStar

Sep 6, 2007
    Multi-switch? Okay, now you lost me LOL.... I'm not familiar with that term. All I know is that I have my one plasma hooked to that specific receiver. The rest of the TV's in my house have their own SD receivers.

8. Sep 6, 2007 #8 of 21
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006

If you have one it should look like one of these:

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=02&CAT=&PROD=WB68

or

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=02&CAT=&PROD=WB616

It should be located where all the lines from the dish come together then spider out to the receivers.

9. Sep 6, 2007 #9 of 21
    UCLABru1ns

UCLABru1ns AllStar

Sep 6, 2007
    Okay. I've done what you said and yes, it is self-explanatory as you said. I chose the 5 LNB and 4x4 on the multiswitch since I have neither of those multi's that you mentioned. It's currently at the "Confirming Satellite Dish Setup" screen and there appears to be a line at the bottom showing that it's currently confirming. It's been 'confirming' now for the last 3 minutes. Any idea how long that confirmation process takes?

Thanks

10. UCLABru1ns

UCLABru1ns AllStar

Sep 6, 2007
    Okay. The confirmation process is done but came back with an error as follows.

It said that Satellite 99 (b) and 103 (a) both Failed.

The error is listed as: Your dish type is set to Oval 5 LNBs, but the receiver detected 9 satellite. Please fix this error to ensure all channels are received properly.

Then at the bottom it gives you 3 options, repeat Satellite Setup, Test Signal Strength, and Continue, Fix Later.

Any ideas?

11. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Do you show any signal levels on the signal level screen for either the 99 or 103. That confirmation screen gives bad info a lot of times.

Also, how many total tuners do you have? DVRs with 2 lines count as 2. If its more than 4 you should have a multiswitch somewhere. If its more than 4 pick the 6x8.

12. UCLABru1ns

UCLABru1ns AllStar

Sep 6, 2007
    I actually preceeded with the "Continue, Fix Later" option and alas, channel 499 finally showed up and says "Searching for Signal", which in reading the posts on here is what you want to see from that channel for the time being.

In regard to your previous question, no other sets are connected to this connection or receiver. This is the only receiver in the house that is an HD receiver. The other 3 sets have SD receivers. So I doubt that was the issue. But like you said, most of the times the screen will give bad info, and I am pretty sure that was the case here, because I was able to see all the channels including the ever elusive 499 that up until now, wasn't listed on my guide.

Thank you very much for your assistance Robert! Folks like you make these boards a great deal and value for those of us 'not in the know'. Thanks again man.

13. UCLABru1ns

UCLABru1ns AllStar

Sep 6, 2007
    One last question, I tried to view my mpeg4 HD locals on their respective channel numbers but they're not coming up, and instead it says "searching for satellite signal (771)". Any idea what the problem there might be?

14. Chip Moody

Chip Moody Legend

Jul 31, 2007
    You still haven't mentioned whether you have a HR20 box (DVR) or not. (As opposed to the H20) If you do, you would have a total of five lines (two from your HD box, and one each from your SD boxes) connected to a multiswitch inside your house somewhere. (Mine's in the basement)

Although DirecTV reps will probably tell you whichever multiswitch you have is compatible with the new MPEG4 channels coming this month, the consensus around here is that you need one of the previously mentioned Zinwell models.

I don't know why your locals wouldn't be working, sorry - I'm sure someone else will post something helpful & informative about that soon...

- Chip

15. UCLABru1ns

UCLABru1ns AllStar

Sep 6, 2007
    Chip, I was under the assumption that this was the Non-DVR forum (H20 not HR20). I have the H20, not HR20.

16. lobo65

lobo65 Mentor

Oct 23, 2006
    I had the same problem with my H-20 600 series. I coudn't get channel 499 to come in. The CSR had me do a repeat satellite setup, and it now comes in, but I don't get the "searching for satellite" message. I also got them to send me a new b-band converter in case the first one was defective, but no dice.

Does this positively mean that I won't pick the new channels up on my H-20? I get the "searching" message on my other TV that is using an HR-20, so I'm assuming that I have a 5 LNB dish.

Could my HDMI switcher, or Monster power strip be causing any interference? Tech support said they don't know what else to do unless I want to schedule a service call. I would have to pay the 70 bucks, but I will if it is necessary. :confused:

17. SledDog

SledDog Icon

May 5, 2007
    You're in th right place...

How many receivers, both HD and SD, do you have in your home? This is the key piece of info needed to help you with your concerns. The total count is important.

18. UCLABru1ns

UCLABru1ns AllStar

Sep 6, 2007
    Thanks for replying. I have a total of 3 receivers in my house. The living room is the lone H20 (HD receiver) and the receiver in my bedroom is a Samsung SIR-S300W (old I know) as well as a secondary SIR-S300W receiver in a separate bedroom.

Thanks in advance!

19. SledDog

SledDog Icon

May 5, 2007
  20. UCLABru1ns

UCLABru1ns AllStar

Sep 6, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.