1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD installation from SD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by joemmcg, Mar 31, 2012.

1. joemmcg

joemmcg Mentor

May 29, 2006
    Called DTV to discuss replacing PLUS DVr"s (2) with HD DVR's. We also have 3 other SD units with our 3LNB dish with 4by8 splitter. They indicated I needed to upgrade to HD Dish, tried to ascertain if it would effect line of sight. Currently, have perfect line of sight for SD dish which required significant tree work at installation in 2006. Asked if they could certify there would be no line of sight problems before going forward, never answered but wouldn't send Tech to verify installation 1st, even if i agreed to pay for service call. Order equipment they'll schedule no equipment no tech visit. We didn't want to upgrade TV's unless HD dish would work.

Anyone know how to locate a qualified DTV tech to do site evaluation before moving forward, we are located on Hilton Head Island in SC. DTV answer was search their website for DTV/retailers. Only one close by and dingy little shop that also specializes in Western Union, household help etc. didn't give us a warm comfortable feeling about expertise. Last installation took 3 different installers before finding a qualified person who knew what they were doing. If it weren't for the NFL package we'd go back to cable.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated or if qualified installer sees this question, please respond.

Thanks!

2. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Since you already have an oval 3LNB dish, changing to the slimline 5LNB should NOT pose a problem for you at all. The 2 added satellites for HD are located at 99 & 103 degrees, & since the 3LNB spans 101-119, the only possible issue might be the 99 bird. But since it's only 2 degrees to the left (east) of 101, I highly doubt it will be an issue for you.

3. Apr 1, 2012 #3 of 17
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Agree with dishrich. Also, check out www.dishpointer.com - that should show you if you are good or not.

4. Apr 1, 2012 #4 of 17
    netraa

netraa Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    Just to dot the i and cross the t....

how is your current 18 or 18x20 mounted? on the roof, fascia, chimney, pole?

Reason i'm asking is because the 18" dish can survive mounted/was mounted in places where the new HD dish can't be mounted.

5. Apr 1, 2012 #5 of 17
    bigglebowski

bigglebowski Legend

Jul 27, 2010
    Why dont you stop by the shop and inquire. Just because their business does other things does not mean they dont know what they are doing with Directv. For a small shop it only makes sense to diversify, I would even bet that Directv/Dish income may be marginal in comparison to other work they do. Or they have been doing satellite before Directv even existed. Just the fact they have to pay rent and related overhead every month should count for something.

Besides setup an install if it cant be done you will not be paying. If the installer knows what he is doing he should advise right away there is no line of sight and be getting out of there because he will not be paid for a lack of install.

6. Apr 1, 2012 #6 of 17
    MrShowtime

MrShowtime Legend

Apr 8, 2009
    99% of the time if you have LOS for an 18x20 you will have LOS for HD provided you don't have some sort of "custom" mount. If its mounted on your roof or a pole you will be good to go.

Also, if the tech comes and you for some reason don't have line of sight, you wont be charged, your job will be cancelled and all will be well, so I don't see why you would want to make it 2 separate visits. 1 guy comes out and says "ya you got line of sight" and then you make an order and have another tech come out to do it?

7. Apr 1, 2012 #7 of 17
    joemmcg

joemmcg Mentor

May 29, 2006
    back on property on pole cemented in ground it was only location with positive line of sight

8. Apr 1, 2012 #8 of 17
    joemmcg

joemmcg Mentor

May 29, 2006
    thanks, did try dish pointer looked good but not a techie.

9. Apr 1, 2012 #9 of 17
    joemmcg

joemmcg Mentor

May 29, 2006
    that's the way I felt until there reps wouldn't commit one way or other.

10. joemmcg

joemmcg Mentor

May 29, 2006
    Yeah, I know that but don't want to invest in TV's if can't get HD the only reason we have DTV is the NFL package otherwise we'd have cable; no "line of sight" issue or rewiring. If don't get satisfactory answer may just wait til 2014 and hope NFL exclusivity ends. Thanks for response.

11. joemmcg

joemmcg Mentor

May 29, 2006
    Still looking for qualified tech to do site evaluation on Hilton Head Island for HD conversion from SD dish. Two firms in area Sebastian Multiservices and McKnight Sight & Sound any one else please respond and I'll contact.

12. netraa

netraa Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    Order the HD upgrades, if they go in, then buy the tv's.

a tech will install hd equipment without hd tv's. once your in and working, go get your tv's.

13. krazyrs

krazyrs Cool Member

Sep 21, 2011
    get the 10$ dishpointer app for your android/iphone and go check it outside rather then on your pc inside lol

i was in sc on vacation crashing at the granparents and those dish's were all at odd angles =P

but yea what above post says, if you order it and the tech says it can't be done, dtv will reimburse anything you put into it, otherwise they will just install the HD boxes on SD tvs
    win/win

14. MrShowtime

MrShowtime Legend

Apr 8, 2009
    seems like the winning solution.

It seems like op is trying to over complicate a simple situation

15. joemmcg

joemmcg Mentor

May 29, 2006
    that's what we have pretty much decided. Thanks for the comments.

16. joemmcg

joemmcg Mentor

May 29, 2006
    thanks, we sorta decided to go ahead with that plan. No out of pocket and can move forward if ok.

17. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    From South Carolina, you would not need access to the 110 or 119 slot (unless you want some of the foreign language programmint that is on the 119). If you already have a 3LNB, then you should be set. If you have never aligned the dish properly to receive signals from 99 and 103, it might take some effort to tweak the alignment, but it should be possible. Those three slots are so close together that if you are already receiving SD off the 101, LOS to the other two slots should not be a problem.