1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD LiL being removed in parts of some DMAs.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by RobertE, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Nov 5, 2010 #1 of 60
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    A small percentage of customers in the DMAs listed below will have their HD LiL channels removed. Customers impacted are those who live outside the HD LiL coverage area (the un-served areas of the DMAs). If one of these customers was previously able to see programming and now cannot, it’s because they are located outside the areas of good signal by DIRECTV high quality standards. Keep in mind, these customers are still able to receive their locals in SD.

[TABLE]DMA | Removal Date
    Albany-Schenectady-Troy NY - No HD Locals | 11/01/2010
    Albuquerque-Santa Fe NM - No HD Locals | 11/01/2010
    Austin TX - No HD Locals | 11/01/2010
    Charleston-Huntington WV - No HD Locals | 11/01/2010
    Wichita-Hutchinson KS - No HD Locals | 11/01/2010
    Columbia SC - No HD Locals | 11/5/2010
    Las Vegas NV - No HD Locals | 11/5/2010
    New Orleans LA - No HD Locals | 11/5/2010
    Oklahoma City OK - No HD Locals | 11/5/2010
    Portland OR - No HD Locals | 11/5/2010
    Phoenix AZ - No HD Locals | 11/5/2010
    Portland-Auburn ME - No HD Locals | 11/12/2010
    Reno NV - No HD Locals | 11/12/2010
    Roanoke-Lynchburg VA - No HD Locals | 11/12/2010
    Salt Lake City UT - No HD Locals | 11/12/2010
    Tyler-Longview TX - No HD Locals | 11/12/2010
    [/TABLE]

2. Nov 5, 2010 #2 of 60
    texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I should re-emphasize Robert's first sentence - only a small percentage of the users in these DMAs will be affected. Generally, unless everyone in a particular zip (and county, where more than one county is in the zip code) can get good HD locals signals, then no-one in the zip/county will get HD locals. This is because DirecTV can't keep sending techs to try to solve reception problems on HD locals in areas of weak signal.
    There is a second issue causing this. There have been some changes in the DMA boundaries, nothing to do with DirecTV, but DirecTV under FCC rules can only offer people locals within their DMA. This means that some people who got perfectly good HD signals in one DMA have been moved to a DMA where the spotbeam does not cover their location, so they lose their HD locals.
    IMHO this shows one of the real weaknesses of the DMA system. The DMAs were NEVER INTENDED to be used this way, but the FCC took the easy way out (pushed hard by the lobbyists for the local stations) and decided the simplest solution was to use DMA boundaries.

3. Nov 5, 2010 #3 of 60
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    To say its not fair is an understatement. So what do people do that will still have SD locals? Are they allowed to submit for waivers? I have my doubts as the waiver system now says digital and then it covers SD and HD and you have to have SD DNS feeds to be able to get the HD ones. Sounds like those people just got screwed.

4. Nov 5, 2010 #4 of 60
    texasbrit

Aug 9, 2006
    My understanding is that at least some of the people in this position (maybe only those who lost all their locals, SD and HD??) will get DNS free of charge. Yes, it's IMHO completely unfair. Where people lose their HD locals because of spotbeam issues, I guess eventually DirecTV might be able to reconfigure spotbeams to get better coverage. But if you get moved into a DMA that does not have locals at all, there's nothing DirecTV can do, other than maybe give you DNS.

5. Nov 6, 2010 #5 of 60
    Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Fortunately mine still work even though Austin is on the list!

For those who do loose them and are signed up for free HD if they provide a direct pay method may have a pretty good argument for free HD for life without any hooks at all.

6. Nov 6, 2010 #6 of 60
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I wonder, is DirecTV just shutting off the access by conditional access controls or shrinking the spotbeams for those cites?

7. Nov 6, 2010 #7 of 60
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Pretty sure its CA rather than trying to re-contour the spot beam. Probably based on subscribers located in unacceptably low regions or contours of the present spot beam's footprint for each of these market's.

But either way as texasbrit says, this is indeed grossly unfair and a consequence of the age old misguided policy of having federally protected local broadcast markets. :nono:

8. Nov 6, 2010 #8 of 60
    JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    This is dumb, why did they ever launch locals on spotbeams that weren't big enough to cover their areas? Glad I don't live in one of those markets.

Well they'd have to turn off the packages anyway or customers would see channels with a "searching for signal". Regardless, the whole point of this is to turn off customers that live in the fringes of the spots. If they reconfigured the spots so that these customers got no signal, they'd just be creating a whole new group of customers on the new fringe.

9. Nov 6, 2010 #9 of 60
    Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I just feel bad for somebody who might have been waiting for HD LIL and once they were available went and spent a couple $1K on a new HDTV only to be told later that their HD LIL was being shut off.

10. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Perhaps they can offer a waiver to those who want it in the area and those that do not and cannot get the signal well enough. Seems to me this is going to be a "I get it and it works fine , but the guy across the street doesn't because the zip code/line/cut-off goes down the street.". :nono:

I am wondering if I still may loose the HD locals. I sure appreciate the HR20-700 and my AM-21.

Can somebody state that the above table cut-off dates have been performed and are correct?

11. texasbrit

Aug 9, 2006
    As I said, this only applies to people who are at the edge of the spotbeam, and is particularly a problem for people who have been moved into an adjacent DMA where the spotbeam does not cover the new counties.
    I've seen several reports from people affected by this so the changes seem to have happened.

12. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I would make the assumption that if you can receive the signals OTA, that you are not a in the fringe area. Now of course, you may have a 100' tower with some deep fringe antennas that I don't know about. :)

13. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    It seems the same thing happened, though for different reasons, some time back in '09 to a six county area of Western Nebraska after subs with SD only locals in the Nebraska DMA were transfered from the former SD 72.5 satellite to Ka only LiLs on 99 or 103.

http://www.nebraska.tv/Global/story.asp?S=11610314

DirecTV compensated by activating their east coast HD DNS locals from NY for those particular counties, much to the disdain of NTV who naturally objected to the intrusion of out of market locals into their market.

Anyhow, DirecTV seemingly did this forthright with no concern about waivers there, so why can't they do the same in this case?

14. mike_augie

mike_augie You call I haul..

Oct 10, 2006
    I can confirm that I am one that have lost my locals in hd .... still get standard but no hd calling now to get hd from somewhere .. this sucks

15. texasbrit

Aug 9, 2006
    As I posted, at least some of the affected customers are getting free DNS (as with the situation in Nebraska mentioned by HoTat2), I just don't know whether this applies to everyone.

16. mike_augie

Oct 10, 2006
    i just got off the phone with them and thye said due to me still receiving locals in sd that I do not qualify for any distant , going to call Monday morning , but it seems like when i do a search of locals none of the okc markets are getting any of the hd anymore ?? and that's also what the lady on the phone is saying also ? weird , but did a zip code look up from my county all the way to okc and none are listed for getting them ?

17. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Have you talked to the Distant Network department? I had to go through them when I had problems getting the DNS stations prior to our market getting locals.

18. mike_augie

Oct 10, 2006
    not yet just fired off a email and will follow that up with a call to them first thing monday morning to see what can be done ... looks like it is affecting all of okc market though but shall see , thanks to the site and all ur help , look forward to seeing whats up ? been with dtv since 2004 and been here since santa would hate to have to leave now

19. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Just got back to the house and relieved to find the OKC LiLs still in HD here in the 73020 (East OKC). I could manage with OTA, only 13-15 miles from the transmitters, but would need to run a third line to a couple of locations to keep everything going.

Where are you located mike?

20. texasbrit

Aug 9, 2006
    No, it's not affecting the whole of the OKC market - as I posted its only a few areas. I think you are right at the edge of the spotbeam (100 miles) and there are places in your zip code even further away.