1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD lite and MPEG4

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by BuffaloDenny, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 4, 2007 #1 of 26
    BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    Sorry if this has been discussed, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Anyway, most folks seem to have acknowledged D* gave us a downrezzed or "HD lite" version of their HD content via MPEG2 due to bandwidth limitations. If I have misspoken, I apologize - just paraphrasing my understanding of it.

So, with the increased capacity in MPEG4, does anyone know if D* plans on providing a higher quality image, or will it be basically the same one we're seeing now on MPEG2 receivers?

Thank you.

2. Jul 4, 2007 #2 of 26
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    The current MPEG-4 is already of a higher quality image...
    Here in Chicago, it is nearly identical to that of the MPEG-2 OTA signal.

3. Jul 4, 2007 #3 of 26
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    You must wait - nobody have time machine to answer to such questions.

4. Jul 4, 2007 #4 of 26
    cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    And that pretty much wraps this thread up, no?:lol:

5. Jul 4, 2007 #5 of 26
    Meklos

Meklos Legend in his own mind...

Nov 7, 2006
    "Higher quality"... than what? The original MPEG-2 OTA signal that it's transcoded from? Sorry, I gotta call horse manure on that one... You can't take the output of one lossy compression scheme and put it through another lossy compression scheme and not lose quality. If they were starting with the HD-SDI output and doing a direct-to-MPEG-4 encode, we'd be much better off than we are - but from what I understand of the backend, that isn't happening (yet?).

Now if you're saying higher quality than it used to be, that's entirely possible in some markets. Just not Nashville. The encoders here still suck toilet water.

6. Jul 4, 2007 #6 of 26
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm lucky with my MPEG-4 [good encoders in this DMA], so
    MPEG-2 OTA is "king"
    MPEG-4 D* is close
    MPEG-2 D* is at the bottom.

7. Jul 4, 2007 #7 of 26
    Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I said this a while ago if OTA is a 10. I think the MPEG4 locals are a 9.5 in the Baltimore market.

8. Jul 4, 2007 #8 of 26
    Smthkd

Smthkd Icon

Sep 1, 2004
    I agree! MPEG4 here in Atlanta is very close to OTA not a 10 but 9.5!! :D

9. Jul 4, 2007 #9 of 26
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    "Higher Quality", then the MPEG-2 we currently get via SAT...
    In reference to the OP's question.

I completely agree, that the output of one compression scheme, can never be any better then its source.

10. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I could say I'm looking forward to testing MPEG-4 here in the Des Moines DMA, but that would be a bit disingenuous. The technical side of me would enjoy it, but anticipating going through the local growing pains of MPEG-4 does blunt my enthusiasm a bit.

All of this is a moot point. MPEG-4's promised end of 2006, very early 2007 at the latest. Still don't have them. Since I get all the "major" networks OTA, I doubt I'll even put the MPEG-4/HD-Locals in the guide, once I'm done testing.

Come to think of it, it is certainly possible that we will have MPEG-4 HD non-locals from the new satellite long before MPEG-4 HD-Locals show up. Wouldn't that be "special":)

11. John Buckingham

John Buckingham AllStar

Sep 15, 2006
    This is true.

12. bjdraw

bjdraw Mentor

Jan 24, 2007
    According to DirecTV's CTO, the quality will be better.

I'd post a link to the source, but I don't have enough posts, search google for "cto interview directv" and hit I'm feeling lucky.

13. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I love his answers. I think he had a clue as to what you were talking about. :rolleyes:

14. Meklos

Nov 7, 2006
    Since the ATSC signal is MPEG-2 encoded, they would have to go to the same source that the MPEG-2 encoder is looking at - namely the HD-SDI uncompressed (1.4Gbits/sec or 2.9Gbits/sec) data stream.

I can't see how this would be technically possible, since I don't think even the stations themselves are getting anything better than an MPEG-2 stream. Each station takes that pre-encoded MPEG-2 stream and inserts their ads into it. Since DTV needs to / has to / is required to broadcast the full local DMA stream (including ads, weather alerts, etc), they basically have to get the stream directly from the station output - which is MPEG-2 as well.

I can't see how the CTO's statement can make any sense, given the situation and restrictions...

15. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
  16. Meklos

Nov 7, 2006
    Yeah, that'll get everyone except the OTA broadcasters, probably. They'll be hard pressed to change to MPEG-4 at this stage of the game.

17. gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    HBO is going to distribute all it's new channels in MPEG4 and institute a mandatory minimum bitrate. But I see pretty good stuff these days on D* HDNet as well as the occasional HBO stunner (e.g. 5th element), so D*'s claims might be valid. Probably squeezing the c*ap out of SD, though.

18. gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Having both an HR10 to the HR20, it's pretty clear to me that recorded shows on the HR20 seem a lot sharper than the HR10. FWIW.

19. Meklos

Nov 7, 2006
    Has to be the output electronics, since the source for the same program on the same channel at the same time has to be the same stream.

20. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    He would have MPEG2 locals on the HR10 and MPEG4 locals on the HR20, so not necessarily the same stream.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.