1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Local Channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by giden, Sep 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. giden

giden AllStar

Sep 13, 2006
    Ok, this is probably a dumb question, but, once my HR20 reciever is installed along with the new 5lnb dish, will I just automatically get HD channels from my local networks? I already subscribe to the HD package from *D and I'm told that Washington, DC (my local channel area) is included. So what happens? Those network channels just show up in HD now?

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    If they are available in your area.... then yes.. you will automatically get them.

3. giden

giden AllStar

Sep 13, 2006

Thanks! Bring on the NFL!!

4. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    You will see two local channel listing. For example if you have Channel 2. The first one will be the SD feed and the next one will be the HD feed.

5. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    So if you press the "2" key you will get SD, not HD. The order should be reversed.

6. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Not on my HR20, nor H20.
    I hit 2... I get MPEG-4 CBS

It has something to do with the way the channels are setup in different markets.

Earl

7. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    It doen't work that way on my H20. If I hit "2" it goes to the SD feed and then I have to hit channel up. I wish my worked like yours and brought up the HD feed first.

8. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Is there somewhere in the setup that you can make it go to the HD feed when you hit the channel number instead of the SD feed?

9. briang5000

briang5000 DBSTalk Club Member

Aug 10, 2004
    My setup in Cleveland has the HD before the SD, but if you don't plan on watching the SD channel you can simply take it out of your favorite list.

The HR20 has a very easily edited favorite list. You get two lists. I wish we had more than 2. When I was with D* they usually had 4 lists that were editable.

10. NutFlush920

NutFlush920 Cool Member

Sep 12, 2006
    A few weeks back on DirecTV's site they listed Green Bay, WI as geting HD locals via satellite in October. Now they only have Greensboro, Madison, Portland ME listed.

Where did Green Bay, WI go? I have my HR20 being installed on the 23rd getting ready for the fall lineup of shows since my OTA antenna is junk.

11. JLove336

JLove336 AllStar

Sep 7, 2006
    I am having my HR20 installed on Monday and I was curious as to whether or not I would get HD locals if I "move". I am definitely going to "move" in order to get the RSN I want, but do I have to be close enough to the city I move to in order to get the HD locals or can I get them no matter what Zip code I use?

If I have to be close, then does anybody have any idea approximently how many miles away from the city is the max to get the local HDs? Also, is it possible to enter a zip code in which you will automatically get the East/West feeds from NY and LA, apart from an NY or LA zip code?

12. Larry G

Larry G Godfather

Apr 13, 2006
    The HD locals are spot beams. That means you have to be "near" the city. I am 80 miles from Chicago and I get it's locals. I don't know if RSN's are spot or not.

13. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    The HD RSNs are also spot-beam (MPEG4). JLove336, you could do a search for "spot beam coverage" or "spot beam map" (I haven't tried either so not really sure of results). People have posted links to maps that show the spot beam coverage areas in the past.

Of course, if you are interested in compying with the terms of service agreement, "moving" is not really allowed.

14. jtb50

jtb50 AllStar

Feb 10, 2006
    Does anyone have a list when D plans to roll out HD locals to certain cities?

15. theroys88

theroys88 New Member

May 14, 2006
    They will not say but I promise you they have a timetable but are playing stupid.

16. OrlandoJoe

OrlandoJoe AllStar

Sep 6, 2006
    They published a timetable last year and then failed miserably trying to meet it. Orlando was supposed to get local HD in April, but didn't until late June or July. They are probably keeping their plans under wraps because publishing them only means disappointing customers when you miss the target date.

17. theroys88

theroys88 New Member

May 14, 2006
    All I know is that Richmond is in the top 60 DMA market rankings and many cities with lower rankings are already getting HD locals. Unacceptable!!!!

18. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    That is probably because they are having problems signing agreement with your local stations. I have seen post stating that. But, I could be wrong.

19. cbearnm

cbearnm Legend

Sep 6, 2006
    I know that the locals (HD) for Albuquerque are have been set up a couple of months ago as well. KNME is the uplink for D* (and Dish) and the certification has been done for a while now.
    So it comes down to getting the agreements in place and shuffling capacity. Those things make it tough to go by DMA size.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.