1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD local issue Dtv and OTA

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Bly, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bly

Bly AllStar

Jul 9, 2007
    Hello all,

I am a new HR20 owner and I am having OTA and Dtv HD local issues.

I don’t remember which HR20 I have, but it’s the one with Coax and Fiber outputs for Digitial Audio. I have a 5lnb slim line dish installed on a pole in the backyard and a DB2 OTA antenna on the top of the house.

My first issue is I lose my HD Dtv locals. If I go to 5,9,12 (my local HD channels) they are just black. I can go up a channel to the SD Dtv locals and they work fine. No audio, no video, nothing on my local HD channels. Channels 70 to 79 work fine. If I unplug the HR20 for a minute, plug it back in, after the several minute boot up my HD locals will work again for a day or so. Then in a day or 2 they will go black again. The only issue I can think of with Dtv hd locals is my cable runs are about 140’ which I know is 40’ over spec. But they work for a day or so before going out, so I just don’t buy it’s a cable length issue, but I could be wrong. If it is a cable length issue do I need special inline amplifiers to work with KA/KU?

Now on to issue 2. I have a DB2 installed and aimed right at my OTA local channels. I’m 12 to 13 miles away according to antennaweb.org but I’m not getting enough signal to watch the locals. They come in and out but won’t hold a steady signal. My RG6 for this cable is about 60 feet, according to what I’ve read and the DB2 should be good for 12 miles and a 60’ run but I’m looking for some real world insight.

Thanks
    Brad

2. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    1. Your HD-Locals via Satellite come from a different satellite than your SD locals. Your dish probably needs to be tweaked (realigned for the HD Locals)

2. OTA: Where is your DB2 located? Inside? Outside? How High?

My guess is you have multi-path problems. Are your local OTA's on UHF or VHF?

At this point, try moving the antenna to new locations (even just a few feet)...up, down, right, left...I'm betting your are getting a lot of "reflections" (which is called "multi-path distortion") and the HR20 does not handle this well. Carefully adjusting your antenna may help.

Getting it outside, if it's not, should help.

Worst case, you need a more "directive" antenna. This is an antenna with a "tight pattern" that discriminates against reflected signals.

Without knowing more about your setup (as in my questions above), we can't help you much. Give us the info and we should be able to get ya going.

3. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    1st it looks like you have the HR20-100 (due to coax output)
    For #2 what are your signal levels on 99 and 103 (last 2 sats listed)
    for #3 you may need a amp on that antenna.. get one that mounts as close to the antenna as possible.. you can also check antenna signal levels under "edit channels" in OTA setup..

4. Bly

Bly AllStar

Jul 9, 2007

I understand my HD locals come off of either 103 or 99 and my SD locals come from 101, but I don't understand why my HD locals work after reboot BUT not after a day or 2. Tweaking my dish would only be the case if my HD locals never worked. Again, a reboot fixes my HD locals for a day or 2, then they go black. (My signal level on the 99 and 103 are solid, besides the even's on one of the sats is at 30 to 40s but I think everyone is having that issue.)

I'll try moving my DB2 OTA around some to work on my OTA issue.

5. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I asked for a LOT more info about your OTA situation ....I can't help you if you don't provide it. My "shot in the dark" suggestion of moving your antenna was nothing more than a desperate attempt to help when I knew very little about your setup.

When you have time, give us the info I requested and we will try to give you some "real" help.:)

6. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Some times if you have a marginal sat signal the tuners freak out and start ignoring them all together.. nature of the beast...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.