1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hd locals and rain fade

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gregftlaud, May 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    i was curious if the hd locals feed from the 99 sat are more prone to rain fade?

all my sats are in the upper 90's, including my 99 sat signal. had the first extremely heavy rainfall since i did the mpeg4 upgrade. i mean it was a tropical downpour down here in ft lauderdale. all of the other sats stayed in the mid 80 to lower 90's but the sat 99 signal dropped slowly and steadily from 95 all the way down to like 10-20 for maybe 30 seconds then back up slowly. it was mainly in the 60's and 70's during the entire rain event. only stayed just at those really low reading for just just bit. i noticed the picture was ok even with the signal meter in the 40's and 50's when it was there. but just interested in how it was the only sat feed affected.

greg

2. msfaulk

msfaulk Mentor

Jan 9, 2007
    Have a similar situation. Usually the HD channels go out during heavy rain. but I can switch to the SD equivalent and it's fine. All my signals are in the 90's on clear days. Must be something with the HD feeds.

Mike

3. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    The sat HD locals go out before the SD during heavy rain, but Digital OTA does too, not like VHF which the rain does not seem to bother.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Ka will go before the Ku signal due to the higher frequency.

5. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    ah ok. well...my ota never goes out no matter how hard it rain so i'm glad i have that backup :)

6. AFH

AFH Legend

Nov 4, 2002
    So what improvements are being made to combat this? B/c it's frustrating to watch your HD locals go out while the SD locals and the rest of the SD channels are coming in loud and clear. Is there anything being done in the industry to solve the Ka signal issue?

7. Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005
    I have noticed HD locals disappearing during rain storms as well and now I guess I know why.

Thanks

8. Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    I think it also depends on how dialed in your UHF is, distance from transmitter's, etc, etc, etc with OTA in all fairness.

9. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Since it's a physical property, using a larger dish [by a factor of 2 to 4 times] is about all that can be done [unless you can change the size of the water molecule].

10. Radio Enginerd

Oct 5, 2006
    There are really no improvements to make. The beam in which your dish is looking/listening for is very narrow and based on the frequency, VERY sensitive to anything getting in it's path.

The best thing you can do to combat it is make sure you have clear line of sight and a good alignment on your dish. You may also want to make sure your dish is installed right with monopoles and all to eliminate shake during bad weather.

11. Radio Enginerd

Oct 5, 2006
    You are quick!

12. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    You may be right as I really have not paid that much attention to UHF OTA in a long time

13. Fish Man

Fish Man Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Yes, indeed.

It's those annoying laws of physics rearing their ugly head again. ;) :D

14. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Same here. I've never lost my OTA due to weather.

15. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    There is not much one can do....more ERP from the sats, but I doubt a power or antenna gain increase is in the design cards. Improving the pointing accuracy (alignment) of your dish for these birds would help some, but there's not much you can do about the actually physics of the problem.

As you noticed, that's what the make OTA VHF/UHF for. I've never had an outage caused by rain/snow or any kind of precip on the HR20 OTA tuner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.