1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Locals Broadcast Issue for Watertown, NY

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by HDTVFreak07, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Oct 1, 2011 #1 of 18
    HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07 Icon

Sep 12, 2007
    It hasn't been posted yet so I'm going to start one. We just got our Watertown, NY locals added to DirecTV I think on Wednesday (28th of October?). Our Watertown, NY locals include 7 (CBS-WWNY), 16 (PBS-WPBS), 28 (FOX-WNYF), 50 (ABC-WWTI) and 51 (CW). This market does not have any NBC affiliated station but on our lineup, NBC affiliated WHEC channel 10 out of Rochester was added! On our program guide, all it shows is "to be announced" the whole time!!! I thought this market should be getting WSTM channel 3 out of Syracuse instead. I think this way, we will get the programming info correctly.

If us getting channel 10 out of Rochester is correct, how can we get the programming info onto our program guide? I had to play with H20 receiver to use Rochester zip code for antenna and then it correctly showed programming info but we do NOT pick up Rochester via OTA. This area picks up Syracuse channels, not Rochester since Syracuse is our "neighbor". Shouldn't we get Syracuse's NBC instead?

2. HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07 Icon

Sep 12, 2007
    Hello??? Anyone???

3. RML81

RML81 Legend

Jul 3, 2011
    You should be happy they're carrying an NBC station that's fairly local. They could've just as easily carried WNBC from New York City or not carried one at all.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It never ceases to amaze me that people are always assuring that you should be damn happy with something that they would probably be howling just as loud about if it were them.

5. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    AMEN!! :mad:

~Alan

6. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    READ THIS!

No guide data on our PBS for months now... :mad:

~Alan

7. RML81

RML81 Legend

Jul 3, 2011
    I was speaking exclusively to the issue of NBC being carried from Rochester rather than Syracuse. It wouldn't bother me at all which affiliate they carried.

8. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    While I agreed with harsh regarding his statement, I too agree with you in that I don't care which affiliates they care as long as they do and the quality is good.

~Alan

9. HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07 Icon

Sep 12, 2007
    I thought coming on here would help me get some issues resolved but instead I get this???? How can I get my guide data issue resolved????? I'm seeing nothing but "To Be Announced". You people that responded like that to me really sucks.

10. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    The problem is, nobody knows. It took me two months to get guide data for two of my locals when they launched. I'm over two months with no guide data on PBS after DirecTV (sorta) switched affiliates on me. I can't try the route I took the last time to get guide data, so it just stays without guide data.

My words of advice:

Contact a Mod about starting a thread for Watertown, NY, and tell them the affiliates offered (the ones are offered in HD). Post about the issue there.

If you have an STB that you don't use often, go into settings in the Menu, restart it, when it comes back up, restart it again (within the hour). This will get rid of all guide and force the STB to get new Guide data. This SHOULD give you Guide data for the channel saying "To Be Announced" for 2-5 minutes. This will help verify that the guide data is present, but a "bug" is keeping it from correctly displaying. If you know other people with DirecTV, check if they are having the same issue. Then contact DirecTV about the issue. They'll assume the issue is your fault. Inform them about the temporary guide data after restarting twice, and that there are other people with the same issue (should you know of others). This will convince them the problem is not your problem, but theirs.

And most of all, hope for the best, because the odds of it getting fixed fast is slim.

~Alan

11. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Is the PBS in SD that we are receiving out of Watertown? I see it in widescreen, but it also has pillar bars. It is not in very good quality. I get a real sharp picture, with my antenna, and wondered why they can't broadcast a better signal. One other thing, is WHEC on the same spotbeam as the rest of the Watertown stations? Maybe that's why they're not giving Syracuse or Utica. Maybe the Syracuse and Utica spotbeams cannot reach all the way north to Messina.

12. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Was trying to watch 3000 Miles to Graceland, this afternoon on CW. For some reason, it's almost double pillarbared on the Directv feed and looks stretched inward. Checked the Over-The-Air feed and it was normal 4 X 3. Is Directv responsible for doing this to their signal on the downlink? Still, WPBS is in Widescreen pillar boxed and still looks ridiculous. Does nobody at Directv ever look at this? It's really annoying!:confused:

13. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Looking through the guide tonight and found WPBS2, being broadcast in 480i. So they've added the Create channel, from 16.2, on Directv. Now, if we could just get WPBS 16.3 and then we'd have an HD version of PBS. So seeing that they added a WPBS subchannel, then why can't they add the WHEC 10.2 channel, ME-TV?

14. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Must be some real issues at the WWNY/WNYF transmitter tonight. It's off the air, on Directv and the over-the-air signal is not working properly either. I did a rescan and received a signal, but there were drop outs every few seconds. The television just wouldn't pick up the channel, even though there was a signal. Anybody at the Ogdensburg part of the DMA seeing any problem with the repeater up there?

15. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    WWNY/WNYF are back up and running this morning. I wonder what the problem was, at the transmitter end?

16. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
  17. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    WWNY/WNYF both off the air, again today, Over The Air. Also not showing on Directv, either. Anyone up in the Messina/Ogdensburg area seeing these stations on the repeater up there?

18. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Update on WWNY/WNYF:

Just received an E Mail from Jim Corbin, station General Manager for WWNY/WNYF and he told me that half of their microwave array was not working. It was all replaced, earlier today, and all is up and running normally.

Checked the Over-The-Air signal and all is well. It is also working properly on Directv, as well.

Speaking with people in the North End of the DMA and they were also experiencing difficulties, at the Ogdensburg/Messina end of the district.