1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HD Locals: Burlington, VT-Plattsburgh, NY

Discussion in 'HD Locals' started by Doug Brott, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    DMA: Burlington, VT-Plattsburgh, NY
    Established: 9/24/2008

2. Oct 1, 2008 #2 of 40
    zeekchic

zeekchic Cool Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Has anyone been able to confirm WCAX is broadcasting in HD today?? Directv database has been updated showing channel 3 HD but others could only confirm 480i broadcasting this morning!!

3. Oct 2, 2008 #3 of 40
    layzer

layzer New Member

Aug 22, 2008
    WCAX IS NOW BROADCASTING IN 1080i

4. HDinVT

HDinVT Legend

Dec 14, 2006
    I've noted several occurances of audio drop out on this local HD channel(3 - WCAX - CBS). Video signal is fine, but audio will drop for several seconds. Rewind/replay and it still occurs. Noticed on CSI, 11th Hr, Unit, and NCIS.

Anyone else observing this symptom ?

5. Dec 8, 2008 #5 of 40
    toadleyb

toadleyb Cool Member

Feb 5, 2008
    I just searched this site to see if anyone had posted any problems with this. The audio on WCAX is awful. I have yet to watch a complete prime time show without several audio dropouts or it keeps changing between DD 5.1 and DD 2.0 causing my receiver to lose sync. It is very annoying.

6. Dec 9, 2008 #6 of 40
    HDinVT

HDinVT Legend

Dec 14, 2006
    Do the changes between DD 5.1 and DD 2.0 seem to be coinicident with banner messages or the local network overlays? It seems like our locals don't have or maybe don't use the technology to display 16:9 banners and logos.

The audio drop outs seem to happen most on WCAX, but I have noticed them on Fox44. One of these days I a going to record WCAX HD via D* and via OTA and see if the dropouts are simultaneous..

7. Dec 9, 2008 #7 of 40
    HDinVT

HDinVT Legend

Dec 14, 2006
    as anyone noticed that lately the programing for Ch 33 via D* does not match the guide and that it is the programing from OTA 33-2 not 33-1??

8. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Added PBS - WCFE (57) to the lineup

9. toadleyb

toadleyb Cool Member

Feb 5, 2008
    I have noticed it happening when they pop up station ID info, but it also happens all the time right in the middle of a show and you will miss 5 - 10 seconds of dialogue.

10. Matman

Matman Legend

Mar 24, 2008
    The audio drop is definitely there on WCAX, I have noticed it and my parents have complained about it multiple times as well. My wife says its very frequent during Entertainment weekly from 7:30 to 8pm, and and I noticed it this week during How I met your mother and 2 1/2 Men. I was noticing it thru my TV's audio, not using any external sound system.

11. tj177mmi

tj177mmi AllStar

Mar 22, 2008
    * Channel(s) affected -WCAX
    * Date - 12/20
    * Time - Noticed around 8:30 pm
    * Description of Issue

Video choppy and audio not in sync with the video. The audio is probably a half second to second faster than the video.

12. rjweissvt

rjweissvt New Member

Jan 9, 2007
    I have experienced choppy video and audio on WCAX each Sunday for the past several weeks. I also have cable and the problem is not occurring there.

13. tj177mmi

tj177mmi AllStar

Mar 22, 2008
    * Channel(s) affected -WCAX
    * Date - 1/4
    * Time - When Watching Ravens-Dolpins Game
    * Description of Issue

The Video is extremely blurry (comparative to other HD channels). Video is not crisp for HD. Turn on the DNS channel and looks great. Don't know if its an uplink issue or a CAX issue, but very hard to watch.

14. lbouchard

lbouchard New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I would like to know what equipment is required to get the HD locals from Burlington on Direct TV? What satellite are the channels broadcast from? spotbeam? new antenna for 72 degre satellite? please advice.

15. HDinVT

HDinVT Legend

Dec 14, 2006
    :welcome_s to DBSTalk

As far as the locals go, if all you are interested in is HD they are on a spot beam from either 103 or 99, I forget which. SD locals are/were delivered from the extra 72.5 sat. About a week or two after the HD locals became available here, I took my 72.5 dish down off the house. Note only one dish in my sig below.

16. lbouchard

lbouchard New Member

Jan 7, 2009

Do you know if the spot beam bleeds out to reach Montreal?

17. HDinVT

HDinVT Legend

Dec 14, 2006
    Montreal is what 30 - 40 miles from the border?? possible I just have no way of knowing. If you can't find anything in DBSTalk on the precision of the spot beam, try starting a new thread maybe in D* General Discussion forum, we have hijacked this thread a bit, its supposed to be about HD local broadcast issues in this market.

EDIT: Just noticed this thread from 12/28. http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=148867 Alot of work by a member, check out the attachements there. Our locals are on a 99 spot beam from sat D11.

18. tj177mmi

tj177mmi AllStar

Mar 22, 2008
    It is happening again today on 1/10. Video is very hard to watch as it seems to be studdering and Audio is not in sync with video. Hopefully someone fixes it because its unwatchable.

19. gargle

gargle New Member

Sep 12, 2008
    messed up video and sound

20. HDinVT

HDinVT Legend

Dec 14, 2006
    I saw it too on WCAX, and had to switch to OTA. Was the Fox game ok?? I checked it a couple of times to see the score, but I was watching the red hot Buffalo Wings game ......