1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HD Locals: Cedar Rapids-Waterloo, IA

Discussion in 'HD Locals' started by Doug Brott, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    DMA: Cedar Rapids-Waterloo, IA
    Established: 2/6/2008

2. Oct 8, 2008 #2 of 26
    dornitram

dornitram Mentor

Jan 31, 2008
    Has anyone else noticed picture problems with KGAN (CBS 2) in the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City area? The picture quality has been pretty bad. It's hard to describe but it seems to be affecting people's faces. I noticed it on all of the Monday night lineup of CBS shows. I'm going to check OTA tonight, but I was watching the Monday lineup last night on my HD-DVR. All of the other channels looked great on Monday night.
    -Rod

3. diggerg56

diggerg56 Legend

Sep 26, 2007
    I've seen that issue as well on KGAN. The other HD locals are OK. It's almost a little macroblocking that mainly shows up as a reddish looking blocks on faces. They've also had some issues during the day (My wife recordsYoung and the Restless) with audio popping and some picture breakup-not pixelization though.

I can't pull in their OTA signal to check it.

Also- When are KCRG and Directv going to make nice and get the HD picture up on Directv?

4. dornitram

dornitram Mentor

Jan 31, 2008
    Thanks digger. I didn't think we were going crazy. It seemed better tonight.
    I'm with you on the KCRG thing. Last I heard from KCRG was there really weren't any negotiations going on.
    By the way is that you on Rivals (hawkeyereport)?

5. diggerg56

diggerg56 Legend

Sep 26, 2007
    That would be me.
    I'm hoping things clear up with this local stuff. Directv is supposed to have the new "local receive facility" equipment online by mid-December which may improve things too.

6. scott72

scott72 Icon

Feb 17, 2008
    KGAN has been horrible. The picture has been bad and that annoying clicking sound which knocks the sound volume down for 10-30 seconds is almost unbearable. I sure hope this isn't long term as it's so bad I've considered not watching shows on KGAN until it's corrected.

7. Nov 5, 2008 #7 of 26
    tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    KGAN is clueless. I had to call the station to get the to flip the Vikes game to HD. All I could get a hold of was the new room. It was halftime before they went to HD.:mad:

8. diggerg56

diggerg56 Legend

Sep 26, 2007

My wife has been fuming because the daytime KGAN programming hasn't been in HD. Almost like they quit even trying to keep it working during the day. We've emailed KGAN twice and left a voice mail but as you might expect with this fine Sinclair operation-No reply.

9. dornitram

dornitram Mentor

Jan 31, 2008
    Anybody else notice how off the guide data is for PBS in HD? In the morning it seems to be completely wrong. This morning I think for 3 hours the data was completely wrong. What do we need to do to get that fixed?

10. tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    I lost KWWL-DT OTA through my AM21 today and can't get it back. Anyone else experience this?

11. dornitram

dornitram Mentor

Jan 31, 2008
    Man I sure with DirecTv and KCRG could come to an agreement. I see that on the 19th of this month Dish is launch Cedar Rapids locals in HD and KCRG is included in there. So apparently Dish paid what KCRG wanted.

12. diggerg56

diggerg56 Legend

Sep 26, 2007
    It sounds like they're willing to "play ball" with Directv (now) but there's now a shortage of spot beam transponder space as Directv has continued to rollout other markets. There is another Sat going up later this year so maybe something will change.

I'm not sure that I really buy that explaination since there aren't that many channels in this market but I suppose it could be true.

KCRG might have waited too long and lost out on the opportunity for now.

13. ericmylad

ericmylad Mentor

Feb 9, 2009
    KCRG HD is coming!!!!

I'm new here so I can't post links but over in the Programming forum there's a thread about KCRG. Click it and scroll to post #12.

Sounds like it may take a few weeks but at least it's FINALLY coming.

14. diggerg56

diggerg56 Legend

Sep 26, 2007
    This was confirmed by John Phelan, KCRG Manager as well. He's pushing for them to get it done ASAP but they told him up to three weeks.

15. ericmylad

ericmylad Mentor

Feb 9, 2009
    KCRG HD up and running this morning when I turned on the morning news!!!!!!!!!:)

16. Balestrom

Balestrom Legend

Jan 12, 2007
    Yes,

I received an email from John yesterday that this was to happen. I confirmed this morning as well.

17. ericmylad

ericmylad Mentor

Feb 9, 2009
    So, now that we fnanlly have KCRG HD, anyone want to place any bets on KWKB???

18. willis134

willis134 AllStar

Jul 25, 2007
    Iowa
    Anyone else in eastern Iowa having problems with KFXA-28? It seems like every other week the prime time fox shows are not in HD. This week we recorded both of the American Idol shows and they were 4:3. I also recorded Lie To Me and it was center cut. But House and 24 on Monday night were fine. The same thing happened two weeks ago and i called KFXA and talked to the engineer there and he said everything was fine on their end and it must be a Directv problem. He had several other complaints and said he was working with Directv to fix the problem. Last week everything was good. This week, same crap. Is any one else experiencing this? I have two HR20-700's and the problem is on both receivers.

19. diggerg56

diggerg56 Legend

Sep 26, 2007
    I don't remember if it was Tuesday or Wednesday but on one of those nights I wasn't getting HD OTA either. I was messing with the attic antenna so I was running OTA rather than the Directv signal. I don't think it's always a Directv /Local receive facility problem.

20. ericmylad

ericmylad Mentor

Feb 9, 2009
    Unless my eyes are deceiving me, it appears we suddenly have this tonoght. I watch Smallville and was able to add it to my To Do List. Didn't see that coming at all, but AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! We have them all now.:)

Edit: Ok, so I had a chance to really look at this and while we do have 2 listings for KWKB in the guide now, the HD channel is not "HD". Some of the programs have the HD symbol after them but are clearly not HD. So I guess this means once, or if, KWKB gets their HD signal going, Directv is ready to air it?