1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HD Locals: Des Moines-Ames, IA

Discussion in 'HD Locals' started by Doug Brott, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Established: 11/19/2008

2. jeffcarp

jeffcarp AllStar

Oct 20, 2002
    I can confirm receiving ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX in HD today in Des Moines. Everything is fine except ABC, Channel 5. The audio and video is out of sync so badly that it isn't watchable. It is off by seconds.

3. Skiman

Skiman Cool Member

Nov 19, 2008
    I can confirm the same. I'm not surprised to hear problems with ABC (5). Their OTA signal is the weakest in the market to begin with. As of right now, however, their signal looks and sounds fine and is in sync.

Also found it interesting - but not terribly surprising - that CW isn't available. No doubt they took a hard line in negotiations that didn't pan out, but no real loss since their only HD programming is in prime.

I'm just glad we finally have the big 4 after waiting for over a year!

4. jeffcarp

jeffcarp AllStar

Oct 20, 2002
    Two years....The original DirecTV press release indicated delivery in late 2006.

5. Night Train

Night Train New Member

Nov 20, 2008
    I am seeing a lot of audio/video sync issues with 17 also.

6. slharder

slharder Cool Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Subject says it all.

7. DO4ISU

DO4ISU Mentor

May 22, 2007
    Channel 5 (WOI) was very bad last night. It was pixilating very bad. About every couple of minutes or so.

It was a clear night last night with good signal strength.

Directv and WOI please work to resolve this. My wife got very upset while watching Gray's Anatomy.

8. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Date and Time: Since turn on, and continuing at least until last night. Haven't checked since then.

WOI pixellating badly (Channel 5)

There is some pixellation OTA, but not as bad as HD-LIL

Signals are strong and stable. (both OTA and Sat)

The channel is unwatchable via HD-LIL.
    The channel is annoying OTA.

Channels 8/13/17 are working reasonably well.

9. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Life on Mars: Thursday, 9:00 p.m. Recorded on 5-1 OTA Local....virtually impossible to watch with heavy, repeated pixellation. Signal is strong, so I suspect something wrong at the transmitter, which would explain why it also looked/sounded horrible on HD-LIL as well. Garbage In > Garbage Out

10. bgottschalk

bgottschalk Icon

Aug 30, 2007

Ditto...I thought the signal from the sat would be more reliable than OTA. But for Grey's it was MUCH worse than I've ever seen from OTA.

The entire picture would break up every five minutes or so with large green blocks and the sound would cut out.

I'm hoping it was just an anomoly and won't continue....:confused:

11. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    There is a considerable amount of "fine tuning" that needs to be done when HD-LILs are turned on. Encoders at the station end come to mind. There is nothing we need to do, other than report results...the work needs to be accomplished by the local station and D*.

Expect anomalies for a while. Eventually it will settle down.

12. bgottschalk

bgottschalk Icon

Aug 30, 2007
    Is it just me or are the new HD locals (off the satellite) for Des Moines just God-aweful?

I am seriously considering changing my series links back to the OTA channels - they are much more solid.

The lip sync issues on most if not all HD locals are so bad you almost wonder if it is coming from the same source. The picture constantly breaks up into huge green stripes across the entire screen and today channel 17 (fox) had no picture, but was playing the sound from channel 13 (nbc).

I can switch over to the OTA channel and it is always perfect.

I'm less than impressed. Is this all the better it gets or is it just me? :confused:

13. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Channel 5 (ABC) has been particularly bad, but their history is pretty poor even OTA without going through D*.

When HD-LIL is first turned on in a lot of areas, there may be problems for a few weeks to a few months. This has happened in quite a few areas, but a few have had little to no problems.

I would consider what is going on with our HD-LILs to be "pretty typical" for startup issues. I'm in central Iowa, so I don't need HD-LIL. OTA works perfectly here on my HR20-700, HR20-100, and HR21-200/AM21 combo. I have all my series links set to OTA and don't plan to change any of them. Any interest I have in HD-LIL is purely technical. If prior trends hold, they will eventually get it all figured out and HD-LIL performance will be very, very good. Just don't be in a hurry.:)

14. mauijiminar

mauijiminar Godfather

Oct 11, 2007
    This happend with my ABC local in Little Rock after Directv starting transmitting locals. It took about 3 weeks to get it fixed. Lip sync was bad over Directv but not ota. They did get it fixed though.

15. Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    Also, Channel 5 has been behind the tech curve forever. I remember when I first came to town (1985) and was surprised that Ch. 5 didn't use broadcast-quality videotape; I could swear they were using home camcorders, the quality was so awful.

Depending on whether you have a good outside antenna, you may be better off with OTA. I live on the west side of DM and use an indoor antenna and generally get consistent reception from Ch. 8, 11 and 17, intermittent pixelation from Ch. 13 and terrible pixelation from Ch. 5. Last night I switched from OTA 13 to D* 13 to get the NFL game better, but it didn't help -- the Giants still played awful! :D

16. bgottschalk

bgottschalk Icon

Aug 30, 2007
    I can live with startup issues if it will be getting better. OTA has worked very well for me. But that doesn't help on my HR21-100 in the living room and I like the idea of the MPEG-4 taking up less space on my HD than OTA.

I guess I'll keep waiting and see how it goes.

17. sean67854

sean67854 AllStar

May 9, 2007
    Anyone know what was up with Fox last night? Both the OTA and D* signals were down. I missed T:TSSC!

18. bgottschalk

bgottschalk Icon

Aug 30, 2007

Yeah - I've really become addiced to that show! Really bites that it was down, but since the OTA was down as well, I'm assuming it was the local Fox station's issue.

Luckily I bought the PlayOn app, so I will be snuggling in tonight to watch last night's episode on Hulu over PlayOn. Not HD, but better than nothing...:D

19. sean67854

sean67854 AllStar

May 9, 2007
    What is PlayOn? I can get the ep from the xbox marketplace too, but I want my HD darnit!

20. bodhijames

bodhijames Cool Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Just checking to see if everyone's locals in Des Moines are still well below average. Fox 17 is unwatchable still. The other networks are borderline at best.

thanks.

is this something that is eventually going to be worked out? I still will never understand why DTV removed the OTA jack on all of the new receivers!