1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD locals in RI

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by motear, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motear

motear New Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Does anyone have an idea when WPRI and WNAC will be available in HD?

2. johnck78

johnck78 Godfather

Feb 18, 2007
    That has been the $1,000,000 question. Can't get a straight answer from D* or LIN Communications. The few times I spoke with LIN they seemed VERY Arrogant!! I had called to protest why they declined my waivers for HD since I cannot receive their signal OTA at my house. They told me that they didn't care if I could get the signal they were never gunna issue waivers. I asked them when the HDs were going to be on D* they told me that D* was the roadblock. I call D* and they tell me LIN is the roadblock.

It seems pretty hopeless to try to get any info either way. I just make a point not watch their news and FFWD their commercials. I never watch them live. This way there is no chance for them to generate any revenue from me. (my own personal little silent victory!)

3. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    I would imagine they are required to if they carry national programming. Unless you can get Boston area locals via OTA.

4. MikeR

MikeR Hall Of Fame

Oct 5, 2006
  5. johnck78

johnck78 Godfather

Feb 18, 2007
    Sent the following to LIN TV today:

Is there any time line as to when I can expect to see WPRI and WNAC in HD on DirecTV. I currently get WJAR and WLNE in HD. I contacted DirecTv and they informed me that the issue is on the LIN TV end. I have a very difficult time receiving these channels via and Over-The-Air antenna at my house. I have also been told that I am not eligible to receive waivers so I may get New York HD feed as you feel that will be a negative impact on your advertisers. This issue has become very frustrating as I cannot seem to get any kind of real answer as to if/when the HD versions of these channels will be available on DirecTV.

Your prompt response is appreciated.

Thank You,

John C. Knight

And their response...

Dear Mr. Knight,

Our parent company, LIN Television, has been unable to reach agreement with DirecTV on a carriage deal for HDTV for WPRI12 and FOX Providence.

I am hopeful that we will reach agreement in the near future, but cannot make any promises. I am surprised to hear that you are having a difficult time receiving our free over the air signals as we are usually available with a set top antenna in most of the viewing area. Please let us know if you need any technical advice on how to pick up our stations HD signals for free with an antenna.

Sincerely,

Jay Howell
    Jay.Howell@wpri.com

President & General Manager
    WPRI12/Fox Providence

I encourage everyone to e-mail/call LIN TV to push this issue.

The contact emails I have are:

Pam Brennan <Pam.Brennan@wpri.com>
    Courtney Guertin <courtney.guertin@lintv.com>
    Jay Howell <Jay.Howell@wpri.com>
    information@lintv.com

We as the consumer have the power here. If enough of us call and complain, especially in these times of the Writer's Strike, when there will be little to no NEW programming on THEIR NETWORK, maybe, just maybe we can force their hands a little.

I would also suggest you copy DirecTv, though I don't have the appropriate contacts there.

Email them, call them, get your friends, family, neighbors, and even your enemys to. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!!!

Please post or PM me the responses you receive

6. johnck78

johnck78 Godfather

Feb 18, 2007
    bump

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.