1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HD Locals: Jackson, MS

Discussion in 'HD Locals' started by Doug Brott, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Oct 7, 2009 #1 of 20
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    DMA: Jackson, MS
    Established: 10/7/2009

2. Oct 7, 2009 #2 of 20
    SFjr

SFjr AllStar

Jul 23, 2007
    I'm having an issue with WDBD FOX 40 on my HR20-100. The screen is blank and no sound. On my HR22-100, it works just fine. If I go to channel 40 and reset my HR20, when the receiver comes back on, the channel works. If I change channels, FOX 40 will not come back. It returns to the blank screen. This only happens on FOX 40 - the other 4 local HD network channnels work just fine on the HR20-100.

HR22-100 - everything works fine. HR20-100, everything but FOX 40 works. Strange...

3. Oct 8, 2009 #3 of 20
    SFjr

SFjr AllStar

Jul 23, 2007
    FOX 40 is now working on the HR20-100. Something must have happened overnight. It did not work when I went to bed and was working this morning. Thanks!

4. Oct 9, 2009 #4 of 20
    SFjr

SFjr AllStar

Jul 23, 2007
    ABC WAPT-HD Channel 16 is badly dropping frames during the HD primetime shows. It's like watching a strobe effect. This seems to happen only in the evening and it's been happening since we went live on Wednesday. GMA was fine this morning. OTA is fine in the evening.

5. SFjr

SFjr AllStar

Jul 23, 2007
    The strobe effect on ABC WAPT-HD 16 via DirecTv happens only on film based HD programs or commercials. The live broadcasts, like Footballl, GMA, Dancing with the Stars, all look fine - but any film based HD programming (shows or commercials) has the strobe effect. Tonight Dancing was fine in HD, but Castle has the strobe effect.

6. SFjr

SFjr AllStar

Jul 23, 2007
    Still getting strobe effect (dropped frames) on WAPT 16 ABC HD via DirecTv. This continues to happen regularly on film based HD programs and commercials. It is pretty much unwatchable. Many people that I have talked to have this same problem. The programs look perfect OTA. The engineer at 16 has called DirecTv about this, but it continues to happen.

7. SFjr

SFjr AllStar

Jul 23, 2007
    OK, this is really starting to get old. Once again, FOX 40 HD on DirecTv no longer works on the HR20-100, but it does on my HR22-100. This happened when we first went live, it was fixed, and now it no longer works again. This is causing missed recordings!!!!! I am back to setting everything up to record OTA - event though that is not 100% reliable. Come on guys!

Plus, WAPT 16 HD via DirecTv continues to have unwatchable video stuttering during film based HD programs and commercials. It is fine OTA. Everyone I have talked to is having this problem on WAPT 16 HD. How do we go about getting someone to fix this??????????

8. jpcothrenjr

jpcothrenjr New Member

Apr 4, 2007
    No picture on Fox40 = no baseball! Fix this before game 6 please.

9. SFjr

SFjr AllStar

Jul 23, 2007
    If anyone for DirecTv is reading this - the HR20-100 still cannot display FOX 40 HD UNLESS I reset the receiver. But as soon as I change channels, FOX 40 HD once again becomes a blank screen with no sound. This is really getting beyond frustrating! Is there nothing that can be done about this?

10. SFjr

SFjr AllStar

Jul 23, 2007
    FWIW, DirecTv is sending me a new DVR to fix the issue with channel 40 going blank. I find it strange that the channel works on a reboot, and then goes away after about 15 minutes - and only that one channel. Is anyone else having issues with DirecTv channel 40?

11. SFjr

SFjr AllStar

Jul 23, 2007
    The station engineer at WAPT has said DirecTv is giving him the run around regarding the dropped frames/choppy video/strobe effect on WAPT HD Channel 16. If anyone from DirecTv is reading this, can you please help us out. OTA is fine. This has been going on since we went live on 10/7.

12. SFjr

SFjr AllStar

Jul 23, 2007
    Going on a month of choppy video on ABC WAPT 16 HD via DirecTv.

13. hidefman

hidefman Legend

Dec 16, 2006
    This same thing is happening to me on the ABC-HD local channel. for me, if I rewind the dvr and then fast forward, the picture and audio appear including the buffer time that I have been on the channel.

is this the same for you? I know you said you rebooted, but try the rewind and fast forward and see if it comes back. It doesn't solve the problem, but I am curious to know if the issue is the same with me.

14. SFjr

SFjr AllStar

Jul 23, 2007
    No. It does not appear to be the same issue. The only thing that would bring the feed back was a reboot. However - for the last few days FOX has been working perfectly on the HR20-100. I don't know if it was a software issue on DirecTv's side or what - but it works just fine now.

15. SFjr

SFjr AllStar

Jul 23, 2007
    It appeared that last night, WAPT 16 ABC HD via DirecTv had finally gotten their choppy video issues resolved. 'V' looked great for the first time. Actually, this is the first time any film based HD programming has not been choppy since we went live on 10/7. They thought there was a 3:2 pulldown issue with an encoder somewhere in the loop.

Anyway - it looks like we may finally be fixed...

16. SFjr

SFjr AllStar

Jul 23, 2007
    WJTV-HD CBS (Channel 12) via DirecTv is dropping a frame here and there during the Colts-Ravens game tonight. It's a mess to watch. I switched over to my antenna and the picture is fine. Has to be a DirecTv issue...

17. SFjr

SFjr AllStar

Jul 23, 2007
    The NCAA Basketball games on WJTV-HD CBS (Channel 12) are dropping frames again. This happened during the NFL playoffs last week. It's really random and impossible to watch. OTA is still perfect...

18. SFjr

SFjr AllStar

Jul 23, 2007
    WLBT-3 (NBC), WJTV-12 (CBS), WAPT-16 (ABC), and WRBJ-34 (CW) are artifacting like crazy this morning. The audio is fine, but the picture on all 4 channels looks like it does when a storm is moving in - but we have clear skies.

WMPN-29 (PBS) and WDBD-40 (FOX) are fine.

19. SFjr

SFjr AllStar

Jul 23, 2007
    I'm just about at the end of the rope with DirecTv. Why channels, that have been fine, suddenly start becoming unwatchable - FOR DAYS - is a big mystery!

Tonight - could not watch the olympics on WLBT-3 (NBC) due to the unreal picture. The video is dropping frames and the bottom 1/3 is doing its own thing - Bob Costas appears to be having a seizure. The same behavior is on WJTV-12 (CBS) and WMPN-29 (PBS) tonight. PBS was fine this morning but is messed up tonight. For some reason, WAPT-16 (ABC) is fine tonight after being a mess this morning. I never hear of Jackson Dish customers having this many issues with their HD-Locals.

OTA is perfect. I wish I could get OTA on all my TVs...

20. SFjr

SFjr AllStar

Jul 23, 2007
    The channels that are messing up suddenly have the 720p and 1080i lights lit on the front of the DVR when I change to those channels. It's my understanding that means the receiver is outputting 1080p. Why is this happening on local channels? My TV supports 1080p/24 - its a Sony XBR6.

Unchecking the 1080p option on the DVR now allows me to view the channels with proper video. I saw a post where another user was getting an invalid signal message on his TV on the same channels I am having problems with tonight. He unchecked 1080p and now he has video. Something is telling the DVR to send a bogus 1080p signal to the TV on our locals and it started happening yesterday.

When I check 1080p again - the DVR goes into 1080p mode and gives me the message that 1080p is supported on this TV. I return to my local NBC channel, the resolution on the front lights up 720p and 1080i and the video is now messed up again. If I manually change the video mode to 1080i via the resolution button on the front of the DVR - the video is normal again. This only happens on some of the HD locals.