1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HD Locals: Little Rock, AR

Discussion in 'HD Locals' started by Stuart Sweet, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Sep 4, 2008 #1 of 92
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    DMA: Little Rock, AR
    Established: 9/4/2008

2. Sep 4, 2008 #2 of 92
    arxaw

arxaw Icon

Jul 13, 2003
    * Channel(s) affected: ALL
    * Date: 9/4/08
    * Time: 11:00AM
    * Description of Issue: Volume is too loud (although not as bad as the SD versions on D*).

Loud volume of the LR SD locals on D* has been an annoying, unresolved problem for several years. Please get it right on MPEG4.

3. Sep 4, 2008 #3 of 92
    KTrentLR

KTrentLR Legend

Nov 3, 2007
    My settings before I changed anything:
    Hide SD channels when HD channels exist.

None of the SD channels displayed for the new Local HDs. When I tuned to any of the channels (via guide or by typing it in (with the dash)) It was coming via OTA. I know this because I've never gotten good reception on my OTA (I'm too cheap to pay for an antenna install) and it keeps pixelating and displaying Searching for signal on off air antenna.

So, Looked in setup and there's no way to set OTA to OFF, so I told it to Reset the OTA antenna settings. Afterwords I rebooted.

Now NO CHANNELS EXIST LOWER THAN 70. No SDs or HDs. My DTivo shows all my SD locals just fine.

I don't want to go through the OTA setup because that would just setup my OTA antenna again....

***UPDATE****
    After waiting a bit, the locals came back in, but I had to go into favorites and turn them all on. And they display as 4, 7, 11, and 16 - not 4-1, 7-1, etc. So my question is: will I not get 11-2 (not that I ever watched it but..)

4. Sep 4, 2008 #4 of 92
    ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan Icon

May 19, 2003
    the audio on KARK is having hiccups, anyone else?

5. Sep 4, 2008 #5 of 92
    colebert

colebert Legend

Aug 19, 2007
    All the HD locals are buggy. Audio hiccups and picture frames and blocking.

95+ on my spotbeams so it's definitely in the feed.

6. Sep 5, 2008 #6 of 92
    arxaw

arxaw Icon

Jul 13, 2003
    Audio glitches & macroblocking all channels.

7. Sep 5, 2008 #7 of 92
    arxaw

arxaw Icon

Jul 13, 2003
    NO, you will not get 11-2. DirecTV rarely carries sub channels. You need OTA for those.

8. Sep 5, 2008 #8 of 92
    KTrentLR

KTrentLR Legend

Nov 3, 2007
    I have my DVR setup:
    Native: Off
    Only use 1080i

But, now when I tune to the new HDs Locals it flips my TV into 480p. When I go to any other station, it goes back to 1080i. As minimal as it might be to some; I don't want the wear and tear on my TV flipping back and forth between modes. Also, it's distracting because it takes longer to change channels when going between modes and the picture/graphics on the screen go all screwy for second until the TV turns off the video and then back on in the new mode. Then I get the TV's pop-up displaying the new mode.

Why can't the DVR pipe out 1080i on every channel like it did on OTA? (I understand it's not adding pixels.) I just want everything to be at 1080i so the TV doesn't need to change modes when I flip channels and play recorded shows.

I tried setting Native: On to see if that would keep the DVR in 1080i mode, but it still goes to 480p when I goto to local HDs.

9. Sep 5, 2008 #9 of 92
    arxaw

arxaw Icon

Jul 13, 2003
    This may or may not help, but worth checking:

Go into the Setup Menu and select: HDTV > TV Resolutions tab at the top of the screen.
    Make sure all resolutions are deselected except 1080i.

10. SnoopHogg

SnoopHogg Cool Member

Aug 29, 2008
    I'm seeing the same issues on all channels. Random times that it happens.

11. bqlauer

bqlauer New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Had this last night on KARK as well.

Didn't watch the other channels.

12. KTrentLR

KTrentLR Legend

Nov 3, 2007
    Yeah, I already have 1080i as my only valid resolution, but it's still feeding my TV 480p.

13. ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan Icon

May 19, 2003
    raycom's SEC game isn't even watchable on katv
    freezing up and no sound
    \so far I've been not so impressed with the HD
    looks good when it works but too many problems
    KTHV and KLRT seem fine but Kark and katv are a mess right now

14. bqlauer

bqlauer New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Same with the Ole Miss/Wake game.

15. arxaw

arxaw Icon

Jul 13, 2003
    How do you have the box connected to your TV? HDMI or component connection?

16. jangell2

jangell2 Godfather

Apr 6, 2004
    Does anyone know if or when PBS HD for LR will be carried by DTV?

17. arxaw

arxaw Icon

Jul 13, 2003
    PBS-HD is planned for D* subscribers and carriage was announced earlier this year in a press release. When it actually happens is anyone's guess. DirecTV has the satellite capacity, so it must be contractual issues.

In the meantime, you still need an OTA antenna connected to your DTV (Digital Television), to watch PBS-HD on KETS-DT 5. KETS-DT reception is not easy or reliable, but that's AETN's fault for choosing to be on VHF. They were originally assigned UHF channel 47.

18. KTrentLR

KTrentLR Legend

Nov 3, 2007
    HDMI

19. HOAGIEHEAD

HOAGIEHEAD Legend

Jan 25, 2006
    Posted this on another forum forgot about this one here. Sorry for the repeat. I have been and continue to have audio problems on KATV 7. Hours upon hours of no sound. On many occasions picture is out of focus. Has anyone here spoken to or written them about this situation. I have written but have not heard from them yet. Good game this weekend to bad it was unwatchable and unheard. Even switched out my HDMI for component thinking that was the problem but obviously it wasn't.

20. ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan Icon

May 19, 2003
    KATV just blows, the management sucks!!! So good luck getting anything done.
    while the rest of the big 4 affiliates in LR have a good signal KATV alway looks like a steaming pile of Longhorn sh*t ;)

it's obvious that Dale Nicholson won't spend one red cent to improve anything there :nono2: at 1950s picture in 2008? :mad: