1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HD Locals: Memphis, TN

Discussion in 'HD Locals' started by Doug Brott, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    DMA: Memphis, TN
    Established: 9/13/2006

2. PolishPoet

PolishPoet AllStar

Dec 17, 2006
    No closed captioning on Channel 3 (WREG). SD and OTA HD CC is OK. Occasionally it also disappears from channel 13 (WHBQ). Again SD and OTA HD CC is OK.

3. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    When will WREG Channel 3 in Memphis, Tennessee start broadcasting there news in HD the way Channel 5 WMC is?

4. brainwaver

brainwaver Cool Member

Jul 8, 2008
    This past Saturday I was pleasantly surprised when I tuned into the Arkansas/Miss State football game on WLMT channel 30 and the game was in HD!!! And then I happened to flip channels the other night to WKNO and Antique Roadshow was in HD! Has DirecTV finally added WLMT & WKNO HD channels??

5. jrmichael

jrmichael Legend

Dec 14, 2006
    Didn't know this. DirecTV.com now lists 3-WREG,5-WMC,10-WKNO,13-WHBQ,18-WMAV,24-WPTY, and 30-WLMT as available in HD.

6. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Hall Of Fame

Nov 8, 2006
    Delray...
    Yeah, they added them a few weeks ago along with channel 18, WMAV as mentioned below.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=17513645#post17513645

7. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    Yeah but here that game was unwatchable at times. There was alot of freeze ups and screen blurs during that Mississippi State @ Arkansas game last week. Now if News Channel 3 and ABC 24 would get off of their behinds and start producing their local news casts in HD the way WMC TV 5 is and WHBQ FOX 13 is Memphis channels would be set as far as being all HD.

8. BahnBurner

BahnBurner New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Anyone else notice constant audio issues including the infamous brrrip dropouts during Fringe Thursday 12/10/09 on Fox13 WHBQ-HD?

9. Gary*W*

Gary*W* Legend

Sep 19, 2007
    Yeah, it actually started about 3/4 through "Bones" and continued through "Fringe".

Constant brriiips, sync issues and dropouts pretty much rendered the shows unwatchable.

10. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    I just heard from a source here that within two months, their news will be 100% HD.

11. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    WLMT Channel 30 just went HD close to the End of the SEC Football Season. Now that College Basketball season is in full swing, I pose this very important question. Why all of a sudden is WLMT Channel 30 no longer carrying SEC Basketball on Wednesday Nights? They carry the Saturday Afternoon Games, But no longer carry the Wednesday Night broadcasts like they have in previous years. The Memphis Market that also serves North Mississippi no longer has a channel that carries the telecasts. Why isn't Channel 30 carrying SEC Wednesday Night Games? I pose this question because the SEC Game last night was Mississippi State @ Vanderbilt but it wasn't carried in Memphis at all and the RSN Comcast Sportsnet Alternate Channel 643 which i believe is Comcast Sportsnets Mid Atlantic Alternate Channel had the game but was blacked out. Has Memphis lost SEC Wednesday Night Telecasts all together?

12. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    I just heard it on channel 3 news. WREG channel 3 will be OFF the air late Thursday night this week around 1 a.m. They are performing maintenance. I can only assume they are getting ready to transition the news cast to HD. This can only be a good thing.

13. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Hall Of Fame

Nov 8, 2006
    Delray...
    Sounds like it, considering the time and the marketing spin. I don't remember if WHBQ went down, or even announced it.

14. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    That was my thought/hope. I checked last night... and they did in fact go black at exactly 1:00AM.

15. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    Anyone have any idea when WREG Newschannel 3 will start broadcasting the news in full HD? I heard them announce it about 2½ weeks ago that very soon they would in fact be broadcasting in Full HD within a few weeks. But they are still not. Anyone know? I'm hoping they will do it soon because NCAA Tournament time is coming up soon and I remember the problems FOX 13 had when they went Full HD. Their signal had alot of freezeups when they did their switchover and I sure hope that channel 3 doesn't have that problem when they switch. I'd hate to be trying to watch the tournament with a ton of freeze ups. That would be bad.

16. Dan9

Dan9 Godfather

Feb 21, 2005
    I was just switching around tonight off the antenna, and noticed that 30-2 out of Memphis was showing MY Network TV programming?? I guess they changed affiliations from RTV to My Network TV? Anybody else notice this?

17. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Hall Of Fame

Nov 8, 2006
    Delray...
    Isn't channel 50 showing MNTV also? Are both channels broadcasting the exact same thing?

18. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    I heard a while back that WREG newscasts would be HD on April 19th, but I was asked not to say anything. Richard Ransom confirmed it for me on Twitter today, so I guess it's okay to let the cat out of the bag now. :)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    Last night during the Final 4 Game West Virginia vs Duke, Channel 3's audio was unlistenable. The sound was annoying the audio kept coming in and out very fast.

20. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    Well Today is April 19th. Channel 3's news was not broadcast in HD here. Was there a delay in the start date for newscasts to start being in Full HD? I watched for it at 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. and still not in HD. Maybe at 10 p.m.?