1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HD Locals: Minot-Bismarck-Dickinson, ND

Discussion in 'HD Locals' started by Greg Alsobrook, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    DMA: Minot-Bismarck-Dickinson, ND
    Established: 11/18/2009

2. ejjames

ejjames Icon

Oct 2, 2006
    My parents live in Minot. The three network feeds offered are from Bismark (100 miles south) This area is s sparsely populated, that the entire western half of the state is considered one DMA.

So my patents have a HR20 (built in OTA) and a HR24 w/ AM21 connected to a massive attic antenna for locals. Not only do they get 4 PBS channels, but also FOX, ABC, NBC and CBS in HD. While here to visit, I was shocked that local CBS has local news in hd. Not bad for a city of 40,000! I wonder if any smaller town has HD locals? (towns, not DMAs.

3. RML81

RML81 Legend

Jul 3, 2011
    Is there any particular reason why the Fox affiliate isn't carried? Is it a dispute with the owner?

4. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Fox tried to extort money from all their affiliates, and several dropped the network in protest, maybe yours was one of them.

5. ejjames

ejjames Icon

Oct 2, 2006
    I realize the locals in this DMA all come from Bismarck, and doesn't include FOX. I'm looking for feedback from "locals" subscribers outside of Bismarck. Do you have OTA available for a backup or local emergencies?

I recently moved back to my hometown of Minot from Minneapolis. Before moving to Minneapolis after college 16 years ago, I had worked for KMOT(NBC). Coming back, not a lot has changed. There is more emphasis on regional news, probably because of the DMA and more of the anchors and stories come from Bismarck. Not as much truly local coverage.

The other thing that hasn't changed is that the only other "local" newscast (CBS) still wipes the floor with us in the ratings. They do a much better job of hometown coverage. They're in HD, and they have an experienced news team that have been here for years, they know the area and the people. It was especially apparent during the Souris River flood last summer.

We even got beat by reruns of Married with Children on the ABC station! :)

6. bubbacummins

bubbacummins Cool Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Recently moved up to Bismarck from the Houston area and just within the last week finally got all my a/v gear hooked up, issue I'm noticing is on KFYR 5 I'm only getting Dolby D in a 2.0 format rather than a true 5.1. Is this all the NBC affiliate is broadcasting up here or is it a Dtv feed issue. I'd rather not have to set up an OTA antenna to get the full audio feed if it is a Dtv issue.

7. slatham

slatham New Member

Jan 29, 2012
    This is probably a little late but they broadcast 2.0. Go to rabbitears.info for information on all local HD.

8. bubbacummins

bubbacummins Cool Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Thanks for the site reference, seems like all the stations up here except FOX are in the stone age as far as audio feeds :(

9. bubbacummins

bubbacummins Cool Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Just noticed today that Dtv is now carrying Fox up here in Bismarck, anyone have any info on the addition finally?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app