1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HD locals not in HD....

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by markrubi, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markrubi

markrubi Icon

Oct 12, 2006
    While watching Today this morning the show was in HD then commercial with the side bars comes on. Back to Today and it's got the bars. What is going on? Is someone physically flipping a switch to toggle SD or HD at the local station?

2. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    Probably yes....

3. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    It also depends on the camera they are using. If the network is broadcasting the bars, still could be HD with an older narrow field camera. Many commercails are still shot in SD and narrow screen.

4. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    IIRC, Mark, you're in the OKC market. I know that no Tulsa station has switched to HD news coverage and I don't believe that any OKC station has gone to HD either. Most national commercials, and all local commercials, are shot in 4:3 aspect ratio at this time, but national advertisers are starting to switch to 16:9.

5. markrubi

markrubi Icon

Oct 12, 2006

THE Today show is in HD. National morning news

6. FenixTX

FenixTX Godfather

Nov 11, 2005

Most likely your local NBC station had a local commercial and turned HD off to air the commercial and forgot to "flip the switch" and turn the HD feed back on.

7. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Yep. Still happens a lot. Shoulda seen how it was 5 years ago. I had 3 local station affiliates phone numbers on speed dial back in the day.

"Dangit! They didn't go back to HD after commercial during Alias again....honey, get me the phone!" :D

Luckily most of my affiliates don't screw up anymore.

8. Fish Man

Fish Man Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    It looks like all my local affiliates have automated this process now.

A year ago, however, it was clearly all manual, and it was common for a prime time show to come back from a commercial in SD and then flip to HD anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes later when the technician in the control room remembered to flip the switch!

9. FenixTX

FenixTX Godfather

Nov 11, 2005

Haha, that's funny. Gotta love speed dial. Yeah, fortunately this kind of problem doesn't happen very often now a days.

10. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    I see this a lot with locals. CBS in Reno is particularly bad for it, but NBC has run whole episodes in SD letterboxed on their HD station here. The main problem comes up when they switch on the banner at the bottom with the time/temp, and what is coming up on the news. Then the banner goes away, but the picture stays SD and the sound stays 2.0. Very unprofessional, and very annoying. I remember trying to watch the Unit on election night. Man, 2 minutes of HD 5.1, broken up with 15 minutes of SD, 2.0, to show election results at the bottom!

11. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    Did it happen in the break after one of the anchors said, "This is Today on NBC"? If so, then it was a local break. I used to work as a Master Control operator at a NBC station, and the "This is Today" verbal cue for a local break dates all the way back to day one of the program, in 1952. Even with automation systems and computerization, the Today show hews to its long history by giving the verbal cue for every local break.

12. FenixTX

FenixTX Godfather

Nov 11, 2005
    I just don't know why they would have election results crawling on the HD feed. I can understand it being on the SD feed but there is no point to scroll them on the HD feed. If you wanted to see the results you would switch to the SD feed.

13. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    FCC rules dictate that they must do this for the "public interest". Not all stations follow this though and I'm glad my local CBS doesn't drop out of HD to tell me it's really windy out or raining hard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.