1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HD Locals: Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto, CA

Discussion in 'HD Locals' started by Doug Brott, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    DMA: Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto, CA
    Established: 4/19/2006

2. Oct 1, 2008 #2 of 26
    Bitgod

Bitgod AllStar

Sep 23, 2006
    So how are you Sac people doing as far as reception? I've noticed some occasionally glitching on 3 and 40 over the past 2 days, I first noticed the Ch. 3 glitching during the olympics, I kinda hoped it was the feed overseas.

That's kinda the drawback to locals on the sat, to me, I don't know who to blame when there's issues, if it's that way OTA, if it's a local reception issue on DTV's part (which I'm guessing is the most common cause?), or a satellite reception issue.

It'd be nice if Ch. 6 (PBS) showed up in HD some day.

3. epi

epi Cool Member

May 18, 2006
    I had serious audio problems about every 10 seconds during the 49ers-Eagles game on Sunday. It continued the entire game. It was unwatchable so I ended up watching a different game on NFLST.

I cannot remember the college game on CBS on Saturday but constant audio and pixelation problems. Over time, the CBS college football games seems to always have some issue but mostly audio.

I also had lots of glitches during the olympics on nbc -- mostly audio though. No PBS HD is painful -- I assume Nova is in HD so watching it in SD is just a reminder that I should pull out the antennae or get the AM21(?).

4. epi

epi Cool Member

May 18, 2006
    I guess I only notice the locals when football is on. :) During the Tampa Bay vs. Dallas game on Sunday on Fox 40, I could not receive the signal on the HR21. I did not check on the R15. I noticed it at roughly 12:40 and it went through 1:00pm as I periodically checked back on it. I received all the other locals.

5. Dec 1, 2008 #5 of 26
    Karen

Karen Godfather

Oct 4, 2007
    The audio is off on the local ABC channel 10. I checked the digital OTA signal, and it is fine. I rebooted my HR20 and it didn't help. The other channels I checked are just fine.

6. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Added PBS - KVIE (6) to the lineup

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    KOVR 13 has had a case of "the studders" [or Brrrp] for most of the day.
    Monday 9-10 AM was KCRA with "problems". Didn't watch "daytime" yesterday, but found myself on 13 this morning and it was horrible in the 8-11 AM. Came back to watch during the Network news to hear it still going on.
    Add KXTV 10 "to the list" for this "crap" today.
    "Sure wish" DirecTV would change out the encoder "someday". ;)

8. packfan909

packfan909 Icon

Oct 6, 2006
    Hey VOS,

Tonight CBS13 has been really bad. We are unable to make any sense out of CSI:NY. Watching OTA is the only way to watch CBS these days. Speaking of CBS13, our friend Bob Hess has his own blog on their website. Bob if you are monitoring, I am really enjoying your posts! Here is the URL:

http://pod08.prospero.com/n/blogs/blog.aspx?webtag=KOVR_HessTV

pf

9. osultan

osultan Cool Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Yeah--I saw Bob on the news the other day talking about the cut-over. Ditto on CSI-NY--lots of stutter and pixelation with complete loss of signal a couple of times. :(

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    It's not just tonight. It's been this way all day.
    "I wish" I could watch OTA, but that damn [300'] mountain ridge just seems to be in the way.
    To give you an idea of what I can get:
    Here is TVFool reported levels: 1TVFool.JPG
    Which comes down to these: 2TVfool.JPG

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Now if I "just had" a 300' mast:
    3TVfool.JPG
    4TVfool.JPG
    I have "enough" antenna and amps so "on a good day" [weather permitting] I can get channels from the Bay Area [SF].

12. BJM

BJM Godfather

Dec 9, 2006
    Do 13 KOVR and 10 KXTV plan to switch their newscasts to HD? I wonder how many of us watch 3 KCRA/58 KQCA just because of HD?

I don't watch a lot of network TV otherwise, haven't noticed any signal problems.

Anyone using OTA who live in the "fringes" of our DMA? I'm curious as to which antennae you are using.

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
  14. packfan909

packfan909 Icon

Oct 6, 2006
    CBS13 has been broadcasting the news in HD since October. Not sure about News10, but I don't typically watch their news anyway. I have completely moved away from watching KCRA news and just watch CBS13/31 for news coverage that is local.

pf

15. HfreaknD

HfreaknD Mentor

Jan 13, 2008
    Is anyone having audio issues with 10 KXTV? This is the HD station. I've had to switch to the SD station which is functioning properly so I can watch the Kings game.

16. BJM

BJM Godfather

Dec 9, 2006
    I saw one other post in another thread, so I assume I'm not the only one having difficulty with 10 KXTV's Bucks-Kings game tonight... video and audio.

17. Karen

Karen Godfather

Oct 4, 2007
    I had trouble with the Directv feed then switched to over the air and didn't have any more trouble. It could have been a coincidence tho...

18. BJM

BJM Godfather

Dec 9, 2006
    Around 7:50pm, I scanned most of the basketball game until the last 5 minutes, then watched it (it was a close game). It looked like the whole (HD) broadcast was terrible quality.

I scanned the program immediately following (Lost on 10 KXTV) - within 20 minutes the PQ and audio was fixed. I understand that more people were probably watching Lost and called to complain maybe, but still... did no one at the station or D* or watching D* call to complain?

19. trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    Strange...The HD Channel 10 in San Diego was out Saturday night and Sunday too. On Sat night they opened the National ABC channel (397) to viewing while it was down, but the DVR would not let you record on it because it was seen as a channel I don't get

20. Karen

Karen Godfather

Oct 4, 2007
    KXTV over the air isn't working either. It's been gone most of the morning.