1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Locals thru D*

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mojo7877, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mojo7877

mojo7877 Cool Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I live in the Jacksonville, FL area and just got HD locals thru D*. I was just wondering if it is standard for them to only give you the big 4 (ABC,CBS,FOX, and NBC) local affiliates? I have other SD locals like an independent, CW, and PBS affiliates who have OTA HD channels. (I had an antenna hooked up, but i am a good bit outside Jax so it always dropped in and out). Anyone have more than the big 4 HD locals thru D*?

2. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    There is a very small handful of markets that receive CW in HD. Most markets only get the big 4 networks like you do. However there are also some markets that get only 2 of the big 4. If you're in a good area for reception, then an OTA is a must to get your other HD locals. If you're having difficultly receiving OTA then go visit http://www.antennaweb.org to figure out which antenna is best for your location.

3. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I can't remember exactly what I have here in SF, but it is not the full compliment of stations. I do believe that we have at least one independent, though -- oops, the independent might be from 'mynetwork' which is actually one of the listed HD locals on the DirecTV website.

4. Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    We have CW here in Philly...no PBS stations, although they come in very well over OTA, (plus LOTS of variants...). I suppose the only other net here would be the former WB..now the "MyPHL" channel...

5. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Mojo.. same story here near Harrisburg, PA. We got some HD locals Wednesday and was told CW and PBS were not offered in my area due to capacity. Maybe the same in your area. When the new HD birds are put up, they may be able to add more locals to some areas missing a few. A waiting game.

6. nth78

nth78 Legend

Jan 15, 2007
    I don't have HD locals through D* yet, but when I do will they be on the regular channel # (i.e. Channel 6 for my NBC)? via OTA it is 6-1. I currently have SD locals through D*. After I get HD locals will I still be able to watch SD locals on my other TV (which isn't HDTV)? From what I've read both the SD and the HD are on the same channel #.

7. Larry G

Larry G Godfather

Apr 13, 2006
    Yes
    You will get both an HD and SD version of the same channel with the same number.

8. Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    What you'll actually see in your list will be 3 channels (provided you have an OTA) for the same station, so say for channel 6, the SAT SD channel will be labeled "CHI6", the SAT HD channel will be labeled "WMAQ-TV", and your OTA will be "6-1". It'll be up to how you modify your channel favorites list as to how these are displayed each time you access your program guide.

As for myself, I've removed the OTA and SD stations off the list wherever there's a local HD provided from D*. Otherwise, each SD variant is still available, and there are a LOT of good extra OTA stations out there!

9. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Correction... the HD local provided by D* would be WMAQ-6, wouldn't it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.