1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Locals without HD Package

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by scout12, Apr 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scout12

scout12 Mentor

Mar 26, 2007
    Hi everyone I recently made the switch from DTV to Dish to get the 622 receiver. I am currently paying for the $20/month HD package and getting HD locals over the sat. HD locals are not available OTA from my house. My question is if I drop the HD package will I continue to get the HD locals over the sat?

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You will need to buy your receiver and pay a $6.00 fee for not subscribing to a HD package. I believe they leave HD locals active if you do this.

If you are leasing your receiver you won't be able to drop DishHD without breaking the lease.

3. scout12

scout12 Mentor

Mar 26, 2007
    What do you mean by breaking the lease? I signed up without signing a contract. How would I know I was breaking the lease?

4. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    How much did you pay for the receiver? If it was $199 (likely with a rebate) or less it is a lease with a programming commitment.

5. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    The 622 receiver has a $6/month HD Enable fee, but that fee is waived while you subscribe to DishHD. You will be able to drop DishHD at any time you want without having any effect on your lease agreement. Of course, the $6 HD Enable fee will no longer be waived. That will allow you to continue to get the OTA digital channels ("HD locals"). You do have to subscribe to sat locals to get the EPG info for the digital locals.

There is no requirement in DISH lease agreements to subscribe to DishHD - just to subscribe to DishFAMILY or better programming for 18 months.

6. jscudder

jscudder Legend

Jan 17, 2006
    Yes, you only need to subscribe to the locals. The HD locals come along with the SD locals at no extra cost.

7. mhowie

mhowie Legend

Sep 30, 2006
    Unless, of course, Dish refuses to make them available (unlike DirecTV). I speak about the Indianapolis locals... and I bet there are other cities which are treated similarly.

8. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Plenty ... E* seemed to hit a wall last year with HD locals and is nowhere near where we expected them to be. No explanation other than negotiating with stations can be a pain. D* doesn't have all four networks in every market - in some markets stations won't allow their HDs on cable systems either (without huge payments). Hopefully as time goes by stations will be more willing to share their signals and E*'s gambit of waiting for a good deal will pay off.

9. rjs

rjs Mentor

Jun 15, 2006
    What area of Nebraska are you located?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.