1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Mix Channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ljg1118, Apr 12, 2011.

1. ljg1118

ljg1118 AllStar

Aug 23, 2006
    I Love the HD Mix channels, do you think the day will come shortly when you can select the channels in the Mix, for example 4 different HD sporting events etc.,

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    That would be interesting. I don't think the current hardware can handle that, as that would be combining 4 (or more) streams at once, and current hardware can only handle two at a time.

3. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    Personally, I'd like to see a NASCAR Hotpass mix channel.

4. Rakul

Rakul Slacker

Sep 3, 2007
    Well the mixes are only just one channel, just an interactive one so an HD mix channel would just be one HD stream, just an interactive one. That said I have no idea if they will do it anytime soon.

5. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Yeah, I got that...

However, the OP asked about the ability to create your own. To do that, the receiver would need to be able to receive each of the streams for each channel in the mix you want to create. Since that is currently limited by hardware to two, it's not possible to create your own....which is what the OP inquired about.

6. Rakul

Rakul Slacker

Sep 3, 2007
    Gotcha multi-tasking = bad.

7. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I could maybe see the HR34 being able to do this, but I wouldn't count on it.

Pretty much the way the mix channels work now is it is actually just one channel with 4 different audio layers that you can switch between. Just like SAP, or alternate audio tracks on a DVD. That is fairly easy for DirecTV to do on their end and only takes up a little more space on the satellites (I think the mix channels take up about the same bandwidth as 2 regular HD channels).

Like the others said a create your own mix channel would have to be done in your own receiver and would take a lot more hosepower than any of the current receivers have.

8. jamieh1

jamieh1 Hall Of Fame

May 1, 2003
    I wish they would increase the size of the blocks on the News Mix and Sports Mix. They are shrunk so small its hard to see them then on a HD tv they dont look all that good. Directv should add them in HD and increase the size like they are on MLB and other sports mixes.

9. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    A mix channel, HD or SD, takes up pretty much the same amount of bandwidth as any other HD or SD channel. Because in the end, it is pretty much the same as any other HD or SD channel.

10. Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    I think it'll happen in 2015.

[​IMG]

11. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    I thought that HD mix channel for the Masters looked great. My NewsMix and SportsMix are not in HD though. Are they supposed to be?

As far as creating your own mix... Cablevision is the only company that is doing that right now. They have servers in the headend that can assemble your mix, and deliver it to you the same way video on demand is delivered. So it uses the same bandwidth as their VOD or Switched Digital Video. Cable has the technology to be more "personal" in terms of what you get on your wire. DirecTV is broadcast to everyone, with the exception of spot beams. Even spot beams are way too big for personal switched digital video type of delivery. They would have to transition to IPTV over your broadband connection, which for small thumbnails of video, could be possible. OR they would need a multiple tuner like an HR-34 (what is that, 5 tuners?) Then they could have 4 user selectable channels, plus the 'mix' background (unless the software generated the background UI).

Here's a link on how Cablevision does it:
    http://hd.engadget.com/2011/03/24/cablevision-lets-viewers-watch-9-channels-at-once-with-new-io-tv/

But you see, they have the bandwidth for that type of stuff. Not to say we couldn't tap into the internet though. Maybe someday.

12. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Masters HD mix channel did look good. So did the MLBEI HD channel during the free preview.

uVerse is advertising a user-created mix channel on LA TV stations (ad nauseum, too).

13. abcward

abcward Cool Member

Jun 8, 2010
    The graphics and interface for the MLB Game Mix has changed today. Looks really sharp...

14. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    U-verse has it the easiest, since their system is already setup to deliver thumbnail previews of every channel as a standard feature of the box. So all they have to do is put a few of them on one page.

15. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    How many on a page, and is it HD?

16. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Just going off my memory of the commercials, I believe they put four on a page.

17. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    You sure about that, I thought Sixto's transponder info stuff showed they took up about the same as 2 linear HD channels? Or maybe that's just the NFL Sunday Ticket Mix channel with 8 games showing? Of course I could be mistaken, but I thought I remember reading that here.

18. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Yep, totally.
    Even the NFLST Mix channel takes up the space of one channel.

19. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Pixels is pixels, to phrase off that old chicken commercial, so it shouldn't be much more at all. The only extra overhead would be what's needed to select and relay the change in the small picture's audio, and selecting the thumbnail picture to change the channel to the, ah, big picture.

20. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    We need more Mix channges. Dish does not have them. Its something giving DIrecTV a compeditive edge, DirecTV I hope your reading this. HInt hint

How about a HBO, Comedy, Sitcom, Discover, or Starz mix channels. They can even be in SD.

How about a Fox spots net mix?