1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"HD Only"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by left jeff, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. left jeff

left jeff AllStar

Jan 29, 2007
    Anybody else hoping that D* will add an "HD Only" package? Maybe budget priced? I'm sure I am dreaming....

2. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Considering that D* requires everyone to have a TC/C/Fam pkg, yea, you ARE dreaming... ;)

3. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    What I'm actually hoping for next year is an HD Only package for say $50-$60. This would mean only HD channels, no SD at all. The only channels I watch will be in HD by next year so that would be great for me.

4. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    HD isn't forced on SD customers, so why force SD on HD customers? Especially in light of the fact that we're anticipating a health HD lineup.

5. left jeff

left jeff AllStar

Jan 29, 2007
    yeah, that's I mean...

In theory, if D* wanted to really pull ahead of cable or E*, offering an HD-only tier would be a great marketing trick.

It would also be a good time to get around the "if you carry this channel, you must carry our other channel" BS.

In theory, if they did, it maybe the first package in awhile with little to no filler...I like, D* and all, but it gets a little depressing when I look at my bill and then look at the shows I record I notice I'm paying all this money to watch like 10 channels!:eek2:

6. richlife

richlife Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2006
    I completely agree you dreamer.

7. wilmot3

wilmot3 Legend

Jul 24, 2007
    In my opinion the channels that are being added are just the hd of the sd. But I think the problem one would have is the stations that lag back and do not offer HD .

8. Sep 1, 2007 #8 of 13
    Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused Godfather

Jun 13, 2007
    It certainly would be great to clean out a lot of the clutter that is broadcast. Of course that clutter helps pay the bills at D*. I suspect they wouldn't be able to charge as much for all the shopping, etc. channels if a few million sets of eyes just disappeared. That may not amount to much, but who knows?

9. Sep 1, 2007 #9 of 13
    or270

or270 Icon

Feb 12, 2006
    There is a real winner - HD shopping channels:lol:

10. Galley

Galley Legend

Apr 2, 2007
    $29.99 Family Pack + $9.99 HD Access = $39.98. You won't get much cheaper than that. Just do what I did and delete all of the SD channels. :)

11. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    But then yo will only get the HD channels that are included in the SD family pack (are there any?)

12. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    At this point, yes you are dreaming. Contracts with content providers would certainly mean that, even if they did, it wouldn't be budget priced. But sure, it would be nice :)

13. Dusty

Dusty Icon

Sep 21, 2006
    It's not gonna happen.

FCC requires them to carry "public interest" channels. They got paid to carry some channels to all subscriberrs. Plus contracts will require them to carry some other channels.

HD channels and budget price won't go together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.