1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD OR HDDVR Receiver?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by MikeeLikee, Mar 20, 2009.

1. MikeeLikee

MikeeLikee Cool Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Hi,
    I've seen a post somewhere where it explained the bonus of an HDDVR over a plain HD receiver but I can't seem to find it again.

I'm looking into going to HD soon but I don't record shows at all. I didn't even use my VHS recorder when I had it.

What is the advantage of getting an HDDVR over an HD receiver when I don't plan on recording anything?

Could I get an HDDVR without having to pay the extra six dollars a month for DVR service? If so, is the DVR portion still functional for anything like pausing the program I'm currently watching and resuming again?

Othewise I'm looking at going with the plain HD receiver if the DVR doesn't function without paying the extra fee.

Moderators: Please move this post to the proper forum if I've posted in the wrong forum.

Thanks,

MikeeLikee

2. judson_west

judson_west Godfather

Jun 15, 2006
    This is the same question I had years ago before I got my first TiVo. I just couldn't understand what the fuss was with this new DVR thing. After taking the plunge, I can't watch TV without being able to pause and rewind live tv. Even if you don't record a thing, and you probably will once you see how easy it is to do, you will never watch live tv the same way with a DVR.

3. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    +100,000

To answer another one of your questions, there is no real reason to get a HDDVR with the DVR service inactive. Heck, I know it's possible, but you might have to fight to get them to actually do that. You shouldn't be able to use ANY features of a DVR with the DVR service inactive.

Edit: to be fair, I don't know how DirecTV VOD would work or not work with the DVR service inactive. Maybe someone else can answer that.

4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    WIth a HDDVR you can connect it to the internet and that will give the option of downloading (VOD) Selections.

HDDVR gives you the option of time shifting allow you to watch something that may interest you any time you wish.

DVR service fee is only added once-No matter if you have many HDDVR's on your account.

HDDVR Connected to your (internet) can also access your Mp3 files and .jegs for music and personal pictures from your PC on to your TV.

With an HD Receiver you can watch TV when you home to see it. That's about it.

5. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    It won't work,and it won't be able to record either.

When the service is active, CSR, Sends a ON Signal to the DVR to enable those features, Without it enable $$$$ -no workie :lol:

6. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    The main problem I had was when the mpeg4 HD-DVR (HR20-700) was first released a few years ago. All of the new software updates were being developed for it while the standalone HD rcvr (H20) was ignored. Now that the software for the H2x receivers is keeping pace with the HR2x HD-DVR's, I don't see any advantage of getting a HR2x, especially if you don't need to record anything.

:)

7. bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    Being able to pause a movie when there's ten minutes left and the phone rings: Priceless.

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    First, I'll list the things a DVR can do that other receivers can't:

- Record/pause/rewind live TV. More on this later.
    - Media Share (view [on your TV] pictures, play music and some video shared from a PC - requires network connection)
    - DirecTV2PC (view DVR recordings on your PC, including HD - requires network connection)
    - DownloadOnDemand (Download some movies and missed episodes of many series - requires network connection)
    - Movie Showcase (pre-downloaded shows available instantly, mostly PPV)
    - In the future, it will be a server, and possibly a client, for Multi-Room Viewing.

If you've never had a DVR before, then you probably don't realize what a game-changer it is. Using a VCR to record something you wanted to watch later was always a clunky hassle. With a DVR, it can be as easy as changing channels in the guide, plus an extra button press or two.

When all you've ever had is live TV, you get used to doing everything around the TV network's schedule, and if two shows you want to see are on at the same time, you have to make a decision on which one to miss.

With a DVR, a few button presses will set up the DVR to automatically record your favorite shows. You simply move in the guide to the show and press the Record button once to record a single show, or twice to record every espisode (you can further adjust the recording options if you wish).

Then, WHENEVER you are ready to watch TV, your DVR is waiting with all of your favorite shows. And with 2 sat tuners, you can record two shows at once, while you watch a third, pre-recorded show from the hard drive, all without getting up to change a tape/disc or anything else.

After a short while, you realize that you can watch a one-hour show in 44 minutes (FF through commercials), or rewind to catch a part you missed because the phone rang. And you don't need to care about the networks' schedules very much, because the DVR allows you to watch your shows whenever you want to. My 60-year-old technophobe mother has no trouble working the DVR, so it's pretty simple.

IMO, it's the best $6/month you can spend. I suppose that it's not for everyone, but it's hard to for me to figure out why anyone wouldn't want it.

9. McSwine

McSwine Cool Member

Jul 10, 2008
    My wife would get rid of me before she would our DVR.

10. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Get the DVR. It will truely change the way you watch and enjoy TV. $6/month has never bought so much. :)

Having a DVR is like having air to breath, once you get used to it, there's no going back. :)

11. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    All the reasons here are pretty good reasons.

I just cant imagine in this day and age, if there are really any shows you care about keeping up with every week, you can always be home to watch them live every week.

12. MikeeLikee

MikeeLikee Cool Member

Mar 14, 2009
    WOW! Thanks for all of your responses!

All these features sound really nice which I would rarely use.
    I only have one D10 receiver hooked to an HDTV and my other TV is an analog with a digital converter box and outside antenna. I can get a good many local HD stations on both TV's.

You all have been great!
    Thanks again,

MikeeLikee

13. SteveHas

SteveHas Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2007
    I gt my first Tivo for my wife, I thought a DVR would be useless to me.
    Well we now have 1 SD Tivo, (soon to be replaced), and 2 HDDVRs (HR20s).
    I could never ever watch TV without them again.
    The HR20 is now one of my prized toys!
    Do it!

14. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    And don't forget the inevitable "what'd he say" when watching a show. Or your own personal "further review" when watching football. Then there is the reason I use the most: pause TV to hit the bathroom, get a snack, fix a sandwich or get a drink. No more waiting for commercials for that. And of course, if you watch any shows similar to that really popular one on Fox on Tuesday, you'll never have to sit through 4:30 commercial breaks again.

Like a lot of others, when I first got mine I didn't see it as more than just a VCR (mine had broken). Now I get annoyed as hell when I have to watch commercials at friends houses who do not have a DVR.

15. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    Just to satisfy the "full disclosure" clause, there are a few things that the DVR does not do as well as the non-DVR receivers.

#1) If you channel surf, the DVR is MUCH slower at up/down channel changes than the non-DVR receivers.
    #2) Guide operation is also slower.

Having dislosed that, IMO there are two types of people in the world:
    Ones who love their DVR and ones who don't know they love their DVR yet...:D

16. renbutler

renbutler Godfather

Oct 17, 2008
    I joined the DVR cult last November. Before that, I was simply in denial.

17. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The Plus HD DVR (perhaps with an add-on over-the-air box) will allow you to record up to two channels while you're busily watching another channel live on a TV.

I used to have a situation (when Sarah Connor Chronicles was on Monday night) where three shows that I was following (Heroes, Chuck and SCC) were all on at the same time. Thanks to being able to record all three (on a single DISH Network HD DVR), I could keep up with all of them even when I wasn't home at the appointed hour.

Another benefit that I don't think I could live without is the ability to start watching a program about 20 minutes into the live broadcast and skip all of the commercials.

18. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Note that these aren't necessarily hallmarks of all DVRs but are important to consider if you're looking at a DIRECTV DVR.

19. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Start watching a 3 hour hockey game 40 minutes after it started, FFW every commercial and all the intermission garbage and catch up to live with just 5 minutes left....priceless.

20. richardmb

richardmb Mentor

Mar 2, 2006
    If you get it Happiness will come. :D