1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hd Ota Omg Wtf Bbq ?!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by bairdjc, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bairdjc

bairdjc Legend

Sep 22, 2005
    all I can say is WOWOWOWOWOWOWW

I've had a 622 for some time, and just upgraded to HD about a month ago after getting a deal on a 37" LCD. Since then I've had all the E* HD they serve, but no locals in HD (E* doesn't carry Hartford locals in HD :( ). Anyway since I added the 61.5 dish I've been planning on adding an OTA antenna just for laughs. There are 2 sets of antennae - some around 325 - 345 (UHF) and one set (S&D) around 240 (VHF). The 320/340 set is about 11 miles away and the 240 set 18 miles away and antennaweb told me I'd need a medium directional (w or w/o preamp) to catch either of them.

I bought a knockoff DB2 antenna (Channel Master version of it anyway) which touted 30 miles and a 90 degree width. At first I figured I'd throw it up on the roof, aim it toward the 340 set, see what happened, then aim it at 240 and check again, then purchase a second antenna for the 240 antennas (the two sets are 100 degrees apart, which is wider than the DB2 is supposed to cover).

Anyway I just got a chance to put it up today, pointed it at 335 with a compass without peaking. I had the 622 scan for locals - I expected maybe 5 or 6 channels but I pulled in 15! FIFTEEN! Granted, just less than half were SD, but it was still WAY more than I expected. EVEN BETTER, it picked up the station @ 240! AND, the signal strength is above 60 for all channels, and in the 90's for all of the ones it's "pointed at".

Thus far - OMG, the clarity is WONDERFUL, and even the regular digital (not HD) feed from OTA is MUCH BETTER than the E* "Digital" feed.

Thank GOD for OTA and thank E* for making such a great receiver!

2. BNUMM

BNUMM Hall Of Fame

Dec 23, 2006
    Are you connected to the TV or the 622? Sometimes you will pick up more channels if you go directly to the TV but you will not be able to record the ones that you only pick up with the TV.

3. bairdjc

bairdjc Legend

Sep 22, 2005
    it's connected to the 622 - I need the ability to record

actually one station is strangely missing, even though it's in roughly the same location as the stations that are coming in at 98 (signal) - PBS. I recall something how sometimes the 622 doesn't "see" some stations for some reason and they have to be manually added. I'll try that tonight.

4. zlensman

zlensman Legend

Jan 15, 2006
  5. Bradtothebone

Bradtothebone Godfather

Aug 11, 2003
    Put a splitter on and hook up to both. That way, you can record one and watch another OTA. ;)

Brad

6. davethestalker

davethestalker Godfather

Sep 16, 2006
    It's great ain't it!

My 722 can actually pull the signals 20 - 30% stronger than my TV's tuner. One station that was coming in at around 75% (NBC) on the TV, the 722 can grab it at 100% sometimes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.