1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Pack FREE 3-months...again?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Ytsejamer1, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Jan 7, 2009 #1 of 18
    Ytsejamer1

Ytsejamer1 Cool Member

May 15, 2008
    Hey everyone...happy new year!

Last year I added the HD extra pack which was free for three months. I took it off a few days prior to it expiring as I very rarely watched anything on those channels.

I just noticed while going through the Add Premium section that I can add the HD Extra Pack again free for three months? You guys think its legit or will they give it to me for those few days, then charge me? :)

2. Jan 7, 2009 #2 of 18
    paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I had actually been paying for it for a while when it was accidentally removed from my package. When it was re-added, it showed up as free for three months.

Since I'd pay for it anyway, I didn't bother to look into it.

3. Jan 7, 2009 #3 of 18
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm glad for you!

4. Jan 7, 2009 #4 of 18
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    It notes "Free for the first three months" and that it will continue after that at the regular price, so if you didn't want to pay for it after that three months, you'd have to cancel it. Also, as to the "first three months", there is nothing said about "New Customers Only" or not available if you have had the Extra Pack before, but who knows.

I tried to add it, but it would have required that I change my package, which I don't want to do. It's possible, I suppose, that I could call and get it added by the CSR without having to change my package, but I don't want to take the time right now (working).

5. Jan 7, 2009 #5 of 18
    curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    directv seems to be watching those free things more now, and you are likely to get charged for the "Second" free time.

6. Jan 7, 2009 #6 of 18
    idigg

idigg Legend

May 8, 2008
    Incorrect. I had DirecTV installed January 2008, and had 3 free months of HD Pack from the get-go. I cancelled the HD pack before my 3 free months.

I checked in May, and I had 3 free months of HD Pack, so I had it free again and wasn't charged.

7. Jan 7, 2009 #7 of 18
    idigg

idigg Legend

May 8, 2008
    I just looked again, and they're offering me 3 free months of HD Pack again! Thanks for making me look :)

8. Jan 7, 2009 #8 of 18
    ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    I had the free 3 months of HD Extra on two separate occasions over the past year. It is definitely possible to call a CSR to get it added without having to change your base package.

9. Jan 7, 2009 #9 of 18
    irish316

irish316 AllStar

Nov 7, 2007
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've had it free for 3 months on two separate occasions in 2008. I didn't keep at as I hardly ever watched those channels when I had them. To me they are not worth $5 a month. They should be included in the $9.99 a month for HD access, but that will never happen.

10. idigg

idigg Legend

May 8, 2008
    It could be worse. AT&T Uverse charges $5/month for there HD Pack, which only has 3 stations.

11. Boston Fan

Boston Fan Godfather

Feb 17, 2006
    I am now on my third round of "Free for 3 Months" for HD Extra. The first was right after they began charging for it, the second was in the fall, and I just signed up two days ago without a problem for 3 more months free. I also have a grandfathered package, but a CSR was able to add it each time without requiring me to upgrade.

Since they keep offering it for free (9 of the last 15 months for me by the time the current one ends), it gets me to wondering if the size of the paid subscriber base for this package is coming in well below their expectations.

12. Ytsejamer1

Ytsejamer1 Cool Member

May 15, 2008
    I decided to give it a whirl...i'll just remember to can it just before the 3 month period expires (again).

I don't understand though why people would have to change their package to get it? I haven't been with them long enough to know the ins and outs of DTV.

13. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    The thing is, the web site doesn't recognize the grandfathered packages as valid packages anymore, so the web site requires you to choose one of the current ones.

The web site used to have a radio button that said something like "keep my current package" and you could make changes to premiums, etc. on the site. That option is no longer available (with one of their web site upgrades), so it's requiring a package change.

As noted, the CSRs can add the Extra Pack without messing with the packages, so that's the route I'll take.

14. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    You'll inevitably get an email regardless saying, "Thank you for your recent contact with DirecTV. Did you know that you could have done that online?".

I just cancelled this HD Extra Pack. I had been paying for a couple months unknowingly after I got several months free broken up by 1 cycle perhaps, since it's been out. I feel bad about calling and asking for 3 months free when I just called to cancel it..but they don't leave much choice. I want to keep my TC+HD etc. and the $2.02/mo savings it brings over ChoiceXtraHD+DVR. I might not even bother. I'll wind up forgetting to remove it again.

15. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Icon

Dec 28, 2005
    Thanks for starting the thread. I checked and was able to add it for free. This will be my 3rd free time around. Checking "Activity Since Last Billing" shows it properly at $0.

16. Ytsejamer1

Ytsejamer1 Cool Member

May 15, 2008
    Glad I could help... even though I rarely watch those channels, every now and again something is interesting on one of them and it's always great to watch native HD channels. :)

17. GP_23

GP_23 Legend

Sep 13, 2007
    That is what happened to me after the Sunday Ticket deal, getting charged for it now! Got it free during the Sunday Ticket deal, then dropped it, and tried to add it again for free, so they must be catching on.

18. mikeinthekeys

mikeinthekeys Godfather

Feb 9, 2007
    Man, I love this website! After watching all the back episodes of "24" on Crime and Investigation, I decided last weekend to drop HD Extra Pack mainly to save $5. After reading this thread yesterday I went on line and sucked up the free offer. What more can I say? Thanks to all!